Hornby SAINT MOVING MOTOR TO LOCO FROM TENDER

GWR460

Hi I am new to this forum this is my first post and I hope I may encounter some friendly advise.

I have an old Hornby Saint loco which despite being old basic and i hear inaccurate is a favourite loco of mine just due to classic good looks and nostalgia reminding me of my childhood.

The loco is a great runner but has poor slow speed.

I noticed the main metal block is identical to the block used on the B12, Ivatt 2-6-0 mickey mouse, and the original hall loco.

I also notice it still has a slot cut to accept a gear on the front driving axle.

I think i can see this metal block will take an x03 or x04 motor or the newer motor as fitted to classic Hornby 0-6-0s like the old 08 and open cab pannier.

Basically my ambition is this. to retain original wheels and good looks of a classic margate made 80s Hornby model but put in a modern near silent motor into the loco and fit a gear or fold up gear box and combined mashima motor if this is possible.

I know next to nothing about kitbuilding locos and how to know which motors gears axles parts to choose etc but would love to know as i really want to get into it.

If someone can tell me if i could fit a comet fold up gearbox to a Hornby axle and which that would be great.

cheers

My best advice would be, if it is standard with the B12 chassis, get one of these and use that to provide the loco power.

While it is possible to do what you propose, it would be unkind to suggest that this is a walk in the park. First you need to accurately measure the axle diameter, and then determine if Markits or some other maker can provide both an axle gear and bushes for this diameter. (Trade support for modification to Hornby chassis of this date was once quite extensive, but as this type of chassis has been superseded by later designs I don't know what is now available.) A fold up gear box will typically not fit in the chassis slot: which means you have to remove quite a lot of material from inside the slot - carefully so as not to break the chassis casting - to clear the gearbox. Then when you reinstall the original wheelset which is a force fit on the axle, it has to go right first time, correctly quartered. This is because the weakened chassis will probably break should the axle need to be driven out of the wheel for it to be reset.

I aggree with you if the b12 chassis is the same except for wheels its the best way to progress. and i see what you mean about the gearbox method will probably end in disaster. i was hopeing they would be thin enough to fit in. i guess not.

Are there any alternative motors to replace the tender drive.

You know what i really would like to see the old Hornby saint returned into the railroad range like i say i hear other say its not accurate but to me a beautifull loco and looks like a saint to my untrained eye.

Im just a sucker for gwr locos i guess. thanks for your advise

I agree with 34theletterbetweenB&D that the B12 chassis is probably the best way to proceed. If you go for either an X04 or X03, I would choose the X03 as the gearing is lower and will so give better slow speed control. However, one great advantage of the newer Chinese made B12 chassis and motor is that it is interchangeable with the old Triang one, ie you can put an B12 body into a new chassis (i know because I have done it!). The Chinese B12 chassis picks up off all 3 drivers (only on 2 on the Triang models) and does give a pretty good slow speed control. It is also much quieter than the X03/X04 motors.

If you want a drive axle and gear wheel, send me a PM as I probably have a spare knocking around somewhere off an old Triang loco.

Hi there thanks very much for the info there, and i would defo be interested in the gear wheel and axle. i had tried swaping over wheels on a Hornby margate a4 and chinese superdetail a4 (the one before the new tooling version) and found the axle sizes have been reduced. this was to try and get a mallard with shiney as preserved wheels and motion but with 5 pole motor control. i have not looked at the posibility of refitting this saint with a 5 pole motor as that version of the pancake motor was pretty sweet as far as they go. but i do prefer loco drive and it would give me chance to get the tender to look more elegant and spacey around teh wheel area rather than the heavy blocky look it can have.

The Hornby "Saint" is a re-tooled version of the Tri-ang Hornby Hall class.

Basically Hornby did what Didcot are doing, and "back-converted" a Hall into a Saint.

You could possibly use a Hall Tender with the saint, when you have the motor in the loco.

I do wonder if a later Hall Chassis would fit the Saint Body? The Hall was loco drive. X.04 motors in the earlier ones.

I wonder if the last batches had the X.03 with the plastic worm drive?

The later Halls had DC sound in the Tender too. :locomotive:

The Hornby "Saint" is a re-tooled version of the Tri-ang Hornby Hall class.

Basically Hornby did what Didcot are doing, and "back-converted" a Hall into a Saint.

You could possibly use a Hall Tender with the saint, when you have the motor in the loco.

I do wonder if a later Hall Chassis would fit the Saint Body? The Hall was loco drive. X.04 motors in the earlier ones.

I wonder if the last batches had the X.03 with the plastic worm drive?

The later Halls had DC sound in the Tender too. :locomotive:

Hi thanks for your info yes its pretty much the same except the cab as far as i can see. and im sure its the same block. also im sure the screw to hold the body on is in the back. i intend on buying a Hornby hall its a nice old loco full of charm. the only real difference i can see is the saint has bigger wheels than the hall. still i could swap the wheels on a Hornby hall chassis perhaps.

hmm strokey beard time

Hi there thanks very much for the info there, and i would defo be interested in the gear wheel and axle. i had tried swaping over wheels on a Hornby margate a4 and chinese superdetail a4 (the one before the new tooling version) and found the axle sizes have been reduced. this was to try and get a mallard with shiney as preserved wheels and motion but with 5 pole motor control. i have not looked at the posibility of refitting this saint with a 5 pole motor as that version of the pancake motor was pretty sweet as far as they go. but i do prefer loco drive and it would give me chance to get the tender to look more elegant and spacey around teh wheel area rather than the heavy blocky look it can have.

I will send you a PM with my contact details for the gear wheel and axle. Your Saint should be Ok to fit an X04 5 pole motor into - most of my old Triang steam locos now have a 5 pole motor fitted, as they do give better slow speed control and smoother acceleration.Simon

Archived