Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Gresford Colliery Disaster September 22nd 1934

Gresford Colliery Disaster September 22nd 1934

I would like to draw draw peoples attention to the Anniversary Today, Saturday 22nd September of the disastrous explosion and fire at Gresford Colliery (Near Wrexham.) in 1934. This claimed 266 lives. Coal mining has always been a dangerous occupation, as shown by the many accidents and disasters over the years.

A relative of mine was amongst the dead at Gresford.

More details here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gresford_disaster

There have been some model railway wagons made in the livery of Gresford Colliery, the photos show one of these made by Dapol (now based in Chirk, the other side of Wrexham from Gresford.) for West Wales Wagon Works.

GRESFORDWAGONDapolWWWW1Crop.jpg

GRESFORDWAGONDapolWWWW11.jpg

Quote from a Reader last year…

“"The wage packets of the dead miners were docked quarter of a shift's pay for failure to complete the shift"

As bad a name as unions get these days when they mis-behave, this is why they were needed, I guess...”

Quote from Another Reader last year…

“Just to add a little to this tale........

A public inquiry took two years to investigate the disaster. The report's appendix lists names, ages and occupations of all 265 men who perished - the youngest was 15-year-old Charles Harrison and the oldest was 68-year-old Edward Wynn. Like the majority of victims, they were entombed in the workings of Gresford Colliery, where they remain, remembered now on a memorial and in the lines of a folk song:-

"Down there in the dark they are lying.

They died for nine shillings a day.

They have worked out their shift and now they must lie.

In the darkness until judgement day."

Nearly three years later, the colliery employers were found guilty of breaching a total of eight coal mine safety regulations. Their punishment? They were fined £140. In other words, 1 weeks wages for all those who died nearly paid the fine!

Hugh”

Sarah Again…

It is also said that the majority of the bodies could have been recovered, but the mine-owners refused "on safety grounds". The opinion seems to be that the mine-owners wanted to hide the true state of the mine. Inadequate ventilation for example. A passage to help in this was meant to have been constructed, but work on it was only allowed by the management when there were "spare" men not needed in winning coal. It is no surprise that profit came before welfare!

The mine actually re-opened, except for the "Dennis" section, which was walled off, and was worked until 1973.

The original "monument" to the dead was the complete headgear to one shaft, all that was left after the site was cleared. It was visible for miles around.

When walking from Wrexham General Railway Station out to Gresford to visit family, it was always a lift to see the headgear come into view, as it meant I was nearing journey's end.

It seems that this was in the way of the industrial estate, so it was demolished, just the wheel being mounted as a new memorial. It is not the same.

• RMweb Premium

The 'Miners' Hymn "Gresford", is played in Durham Cathedral on Miners' Gala Day each July. It always made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I heard the bands playing it, even before I knew the title. Now I think I understand why.

Regards,

John

The 'Miners' Hymn "Gresford", is played in Durham Cathedral on Miners' Gala Day each July. It always made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I heard the bands playing it, even before I knew the title. Now I think I understand why.

Regards,

John

My band (Boarshurst Silver) play it regularly as our own choice hymn at March and hymn contests. You are right John its one of those that makes the hairs stand up, but not only that actually makes you want to play it perfectly as well - theres so much attached to the tune. Not us but perhaps the most appropriate band to play it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6nS8aqA0Hc

My band (Boarshurst Silver) play it regularly as our own choice hymn at March and hymn contests. You are right John its one of those that makes the hairs stand up, but not only that actually makes you want to play it perfectly as well - theres so much attached to the tune. Not us but perhaps the most appropriate band to play it.

>SNIPPED

Thanks for posting this Andy. Very memorable.

Archived