Danemouth Mk2

Danemouth

Dave,

Have you thought about the 'sector plate' / 'traverser' implications ?

You mention that you intend to retain the 'sector plate' from Danemouth Mk.1However, your trackplan for Mk.2 does not appear to take into account the necessary curving of the 'up' and 'down' main lines between the the station throat and 'sector plate' in order for these lines to access the sector plate.

In addition, by using Peco points with a small diamond crossing, the 'normal' track centers of about 2"/50mm will become something approaching 3"/75mm ( all measurements are approx ).

Also, you appear to have taken the first two points of the throat (as we approach the station from the fiddle yard)right to the very edge of the centre board - the one with all your points on.

Knowing you use 'Cobalt' (or was it Tortoise ?) motors, have you allowed yourself enough room to fit the point motors that close to the board end - taking into account the size of the framework ?

You say you intend to re-use the 'sector plate' from Mk.1 - which works OK - but, you may need to (a) realign your sector plate track, or (B) relay it completely to suit Mk.2 - with a possible effect upon running ?

Of course, you could contact David Blaine and see if he can get a quart into a pint pot.

Brian R

left so fast, I forgot my coat

I might be reading this wrong, but to me it looks like Dave has a traverser (moving parallel) rather than a pivoted sector plate.

From the nature of the plan, one road will need to be kept clear for any shunting moves.

Actually it's a pivoted sector plate - the parallel lines in the plan are me being a trifle lazy :-(

Regards,

Dave

Dave,

Have you thought about the 'sector plate' / 'traverser' implications ?

You mention that you intend to retain the 'sector plate' from Danemouth Mk.1However, your trackplan for Mk.2 does not appear to take into account the necessary curving of the 'up' and 'down' main lines between the the station throat and 'sector plate' in order for these lines to access the sector plate.

In addition, by using Peco points with a small diamond crossing, the 'normal' track centers of about 2"/50mm will become something approaching 3"/75mm ( all measurements are approx ).

Also, you appear to have taken the first two points of the throat (as we approach the station from the fiddle yard)right to the very edge of the centre board - the one with all your points on.

Knowing you use 'Cobalt' (or was it Tortoise ?) motors, have you allowed yourself enough room to fit the point motors that close to the board end - taking into account the size of the framework ?

You say you intend to re-use the 'sector plate' from Mk.1 - which works OK - but, you may need to (a) realign your sector plate track, or ( B) relay it completely to suit Mk.2 - with a possible effect upon running ?

Brian,

I did realise that I put the points too close to the edge of the scenic board - John R has pointed that out to me and I intend putting a couple of inches of straight track at the edge of the board.

I will reuse the Cobalt motors, as you know I am a big fan of them - the vertical lines on the plan as well as being 30 cm intervals is also where the battening is underneath the boards so I am able to be reasonably sure that I can fit the point motors - in practice they take up little more space than the Seep's.

The short diamond crossing does indeed alter the track spacing thats why platforms 2 & 3 are where they are - I want to make it ~ 90 mm wide so I realise that a short straight length of track may be needed between the scissors and the point into Platform 3

The track on the sector plate will need unpinning and repinning to match the centres on the scissors. In truth out of shear laziness I just placed four straight tracks on the plan; this will be corrected in due course.

I bought sufficient straight track at Lord & Butler yesterday and have the Peco templates ready so I hope to spent a few hours over the weekend laying a full sized version out on the two scenic boards - if all goes well you will see the revised plan early next week hopefully with the odd photo.

Regards,

Dave

Well I spent the weekend with Peco templates and straight track and after several hours of shall we say trial and error decided I just didn't see the layout working. From an operational point of view I didn't like the loco facilities not being accessible from Platforms 1 and 2. Also Mike (Stationmaster) early on in this thread made the point "My only questions are will it contain enough operational interest with basically little more than a procession of passenger trains arriving and departing". Having stared at the laid out boards he is correct!

So it's back to the drawing board; just got the trackplan books back out again looking for suitable prototypes!

Again my thanks to all those who took the time to comment - I shall hopefully be asking again within the next couple of weeks.

I will be operating Bishops Way at the Cardiff show this weekend - if you visit the show please do introduce yourself,

Regards,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

What's happened Dave ?

Danemouth redevlopment taken a back seat ?

Yours truly is aching from some hard slog clearing the back garden of two sheds, loading a skip blah blah blah ..................

I need something else to concentrate my mind.

Brian

What's happened Dave ?

Danemouth redevlopment taken a back seat ?

Yours truly is aching from some hard slog clearing the back garden of two sheds, loading a skip blah blah blah ..................

I need something else to concentrate my mind.

Brian

Brian,

I've just posted a new plan in a fresh thread - http://www.rmweb.co....outh-yet-again/

See you at the club tomorrow,

Dave

Archived