Where did I see it?

cbeagleowner

I don't really know why it was there but I assume it was deputising for a failed diesel but it must have been quite a busy day as Holbeck (I preume) found a Polmadie 'Scot', 46121 HLI, for a Leeds-Bristol turn seen at New Street while I was on the way to Derby where I saw HYCILLA. HLI also went back north the following day. York also seemed to turn out the occasional V2 as far as Birmingham for a year or two after that, I have a (not very good) piccy of one of those coming into Derby over 'Five Arches'.

Thank you - if you've got any more stories of strange stuff on the midland I would love to hear them!

60145 of York at Water Orton on September 7 1965 - strange enough?

Ex LNER locos in the Derby area reminded me of an occasion during 1962 (02-06-1962) whilst trainspotting with my Dad on Derby Midland Station, V2 60842 rolled in with a train for the west. With it been an unusual occurence he said no more than "get on the train". We only went as far as Burton but his log reveals that we left Derby at 17.02.45 and arrived at Burton at 17.20.25, she dropped 2mins 40 secs on the schedule but she did have 12 on.

The return trip to Derby was behind Std. 5, 73065 with 5 on, not surprisingly she did it 3m 30 sec under the scheduled time of 17m.

Memories!

Regards, Mick.

Thanks for that - really interesting. My youth watching trains was at Chesterfield in the 80's, so all these recollections are brilliant to hear! We seemed to get a fair bit of Eastern stuff in the 60's. Would we have got many York Pacifics on the GCR as well?

Did you ever see any Darnall D11's?

Sadly no. The only D11s I saw were Butler Henderson as done up at Gorton for preservation and Malcolm Graeme at Bathgate c1963.

04s and Thompson 01s were not uncommon in in Derby. When Nottingham's 42636 crashed into the outside turntable pit on 4-Shed there were two 01s among the locos which had to be recovered. This was done by jacking them onto steel plates and sliding them sideways.

At one time in 1965 or 66 there were TWO V2s on 4-Shed with bent connecting rods. Presumably they had water in the cylinders.

Probably the least common locos to turn up at Derby in the early to mid 1960s was a J20 from March.

B1s were also quite common and Millhouses apparently had three K3s at one time which the RCTS Green Books say were used on Sheffield to Derby stoppers.

Archived