Bristol temple meads goods yard.

Keith George

• RMweb Gold

Have you tried Google - that brings up a Getty image stated to be Temple Meads Goods in 1924 plus another showing part of the rail area and road loading bank which is also quite early. Temple Meads was reputedly the largest covered goods depot in the world at one time - certainly a very large goods shed!

Thanks for the reply's. I have already seen the changing face of Bristol collection and the Getty image, what I am really looking for is photo's of the yard with Railway road lorries during the 1950s and mid 60s. I worked there 1959-63.

Thanks again, Keith.

• RMweb Gold

I take it you have seen this:

http://bristol-rail....iki/Avon_Street

Interesting link that but apart from an appearance on the Temple Meads (station) map extract the odd thing about it is that it has nothing at all about Temple Meads goods depot - I'm beginning to see why Keith asked for help because there seems to be little/nothing about it on the 'net, even on this site with a quite wide coverage of the Bristol area.

Interesting link that but apart from an appearance on the Temple Meads (station) map extract the odd thing about it is that it has nothing at all about Temple Meads goods depot - I'm beginning to see why Keith asked for help because there seems to be little/nothing about it on the 'net, even on this site with a quite wide coverage of the Bristol area.

Indeed, I have been looking for photo's of the depot/yard for years now, all to no avail. The small goods yard at Avon Street seems to be well covered, even the small depot at Lawrence Hill I can find several photo's, but the main Bristol depot seems to have been ignored by photographers both official and unofficial.

Regards, Keith.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, I have been looking for photo's of the depot/yard for years now, all to no avail. The small goods yard at Avon Street seems to be well covered, even the small depot at Lawrence Hill I can find several photo's, but the main Bristol depot seems to have been ignored by photographers both official and unofficial.

Regards, Keith.

There will almost certainly be some official views Keith - the problem is finding them. Some were sold through OPC at one time and I don't know what happened to them; York have some (?lots?) of GWR official negatives but according to the folk at Swindon Steam museum they are uncatalogued and all they do with them is occasionally print off a batch and send them to Swindon for identification :O I have gone through the Swindon 'unidentified' prints on several occasions but have never seen any I recognise to be Temple Meads Goods but that doesn't mean they don't have any of course - the library there is, I think, mainly staffed by volunteers but it might be worth a try and a visit as you're not too far from it (I think visits need a prior appointment).

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It looks remarkably like Temple Meads - which was very big (I believe it was the largest covered goods depot in Britain).

I think I recognise this as a clip from the BTF film Fully Fitted Freight, which certainly does depict Temple Meads.

Archived