Steamon.TV.com

dibber25

I've opened the topic here because I can't find a mention anywhere else. Hope it is in the right place. Had fun last night with Gary Boyd-Hope (Steam Railway) and John Hillier (Bahamas Loco Society) doing the first live studio session on what, I think, is called a 'TV-on-the-web' programme. About 15minutes in, one of the two big studio lights died quietly and left us in a slightly shadowy environment. Then the second light went with a massive bang, showering the cameraman in burning paper filter. Fortunately no one was hurt but it was certainly a baptism of fire in every sense. We talked LNWR Coal Tank, my Railway Children O gauge layout and the SVR and NYMR galas. We're looking for lots of viewer participation so have a look on October 16th at 7pm for the next one. We're expecting either an earthquake or a plague of locusts next time....

CHRIS LEIGH

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Seems strange that no-one has commented on this new service. Is anyone watching?

On the face of it, sounds like a good idea, but the production quality leaves a bit to be desired.

They have just done a free month of January, let's hope they get some subscribers and the project takes off.

Good luck guys!

Seems strange that no-one has commented on this new service. Is anyone watching?

On the face of it, sounds like a good idea, but the production quality leaves a bit to be desired.

They have just done a free month of January, let's hope they get some subscribers and the project takes off.

Good luck guys!

Thanks for noticing us. It has been interesting to take part in this, as something that is entirely new. I'm only involved as a guest but the guests have all had a chance to help shape the programme and I know the producer is keen to have feedback. I'm not technically-minded but - aside from exploding studio lights - now sorted - what aspects of the production quality do you feel need improving?

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris,

In the last episode, there was a great review about the Winter Gala at the GCR, but Jerry then asked Gary, what was going to happen to the King now and he did not know. There followed a few other comments and again Gary did not know the answer. Ok maybe he had been running late or something, but given the King is hot news, I would have thought he would come into the studio armed with the latest hot gossip / speculation.... 

All the on-location reports were good, but were then followed by a conversation about the piece that just did not flow.

I enjoyed the report on the Garrett Traction engines etc. Never mind it was from 2001, it was great. as was the interview with the chap from Traction magazine. But why do it via Skype - that has to be the worst way of conducting a TV interview. It would have been better to pre-record the interview and slot it in.  

Overall I have enjoyed the few I saw during Jan 2013, I even watched the exploding light-bulb episode!! I hope my few comments help. Good luck with the project.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll pass it on. Yes, the Skype connection is definitely one of the weak points. Unfortunately, I understand that's the only way it can be done, as Bobby lives in Derbyshire and can't get to the studio for 7pm in the evening. I'm lucky because I only live 15 minutes from the studio. Whilst we do try to be 'genned up' the live nature of the show often means we don't know what we're going to be asked about until we get there. I'm sure Gary would not want to get into 'speculation' as that can get a journalist into all sorts of hot water, particularly where there is controversy around a particular subject. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived