Point Motors

Bala

Bala,

It is difficult to know how to answer this question but I will start it off. There are many different makes and different types of point motor and it depends what you want. Other members of this forum know far more than I do but but I have a lot of Hornby points on my DCC layout, all operated by Hornby surface mounted point motors through Hornby Accessory decoders. Hornby also makes another point motor intended for mounting under the point that can be operated in the same manner. It makes no difference whether the points are curved or otherwise. Peco makes similar motors but its surface mounted motor will not fit the peg on the Hornby point. If your layout is DC rather than DCC you use the same motors but you would need appropriate switches to operate the points rather than accessory decoders. If your layout is DCC you can operate your points from a separate DC arrangement. The motors I have mentioned are solenoid operated and are the cheapest type I think; many modellers prefer slow-action motors that operate from a steady power supply rather than a pulse of power.

If you could perhaps narrow down the scope of your question, more help may be forthcoming but I hope I have helped you a little.

Harold.

Archived