Old viaducts tunnels around Wakefield/ Dewsbury etc

I've got the best part of a day to kill in the Wakefield area later this week and I wondered what there was to see as regards old tunnels, disused viaducts on any old closed lines etc. If not a lot then where is the best place to go by car to some watch some freight traffic in this general area? Can anyone help?

Cheers

Also, you can see much of the old Thornhill-Low Moor ex-L&YR line at close quarters by cycle or on foot as it's been turned into the Spen Valley Greenway. I believe there's still a (disconnected) 4-aspect signal in place where the main Huddersfield-Leeds line crosses over it just west of Dewsbury station.

David

Also, you can see much of the old Thornhill-Low Moor ex-L&YR line at close quarters by cycle or on foot as it's been turned into the Spen Valley Greenway. I believe there's still a (disconnected) 4-aspect signal in place where the main Huddersfield-Leeds line crosses over it just west of Dewsbury station.

David

I went over that way last week and they appeared to be laying a large pipe on the Spen Valley formation beneath the Huddersfield-Leeds line, so that bit may be closed at present.

Archived