jukebox

I am contemplating building a model based on Harrison's bridge over the River Wear at Sunderland, but finding reference material is proving very difficult - esp. not being "in country".

To date I have approached:

Nexus (Metro operator)

Monkwearmouth Museum

Network Rail Archives

NERA Archives

ICE Northeast

all of whom were generous with their time, but ultimately were not able to come up with anything in the way of plans or drawings.

My web search also shows that

Amco Construction, Aberford

and

Tata Steel, York

were involved in strengthening works on the bridge, and I suspect that to undertake this work these companies would have needed to be provided drawings from Network Rail that would be just the sort of thing a model maker might need. Unfortunately, I've had no joy getting any email response to queries about their work.

I did buy a Network Rail calendar off eBay, which produced an A4 sized version of this image, which is a very basic but useable starting point, but it would be good to find something more along the lines of the material Network Rail is displaying from its archive on line here for the High Level Bridge in Newcastle.

Have any RMWebbers ever come across any other drawings of the Monkwearmouth Bridge - perhaps when looking in the Ken Hoole Collection, or researching at the NRM? Or is there anywhere else that you may think is worth looking into?

Thanks!

Jukebox

Have you tried Tyne and Wear Archives? They might have a copy deposited there. The NRM at York might also have something.

Hi Brian - I did look online into the NRM, but was not able to come up with anything useful. It could well be that they do have material, but it has not been catalogued electronically, and so is not yet visible... it was my hope that someone researching another topic may have been aware of drawings related to Monkwearmouth (as it's rather unique, you would imagine it is very recognisable if something was unearthed...)

Someone did enquire on my behalf with T&WA - there's (understandably) signifcant cost involved in commissioning a specific search, with no guarantee of an outcome.

Another option is the Newcastle University SINE project.

I had seen that website previously - it is useful for confirming dimensions - but hadn't thought of emailing them. Went to do do, and see that the project funding ended 8 years ago...

I appreciate the suggestions, fellas - thank you, both.

Best I can offer is to pop down there with my DSLR and get you some photos ( as I assume it's the same bridge that is still there now), not exactly dimensioned drawings though.

A very generous offer, Sprinters, for which I thank you very much. :good_mini: (it is indeed the same Sunderland bridge that the TW Metro runs across)

I have enough images on line to make a start - but it is such a big structure, and coverage is not great. If I get to a point where I am flummoxed, I would certainly love to call this favour in.

If I go ahead with it, I certainly think I'll document the build here - although I'm not sure I'm up to the same skill level as some of the more epic bridge builders who grace these pages (such as Mr Heggs!). We shall see.

Well I am rather chuffed to be able to report that I have managed to secure a set of drawings suitable for my needs - and as well as that, another RMWebber has contacted me, with a kind offer regarding a set of historical drawings he has access to.

Time will tell how I progress with this one, but for now, thanks all for your help and interest.

Archived