East Midlands area Guards, Shunters, Secondmen, yard staff.

18B

Evening,

I’m looking to trace former BR guards, shunters, signallers, Secondmen, yard staff, controllers etc who worked for BR in the 1970’s, 80’s and 90’s.

Having written an article fro TRACTION which detailed what every Toton driver did on a specific day in December 1991, it would be great to record and write about the other side, the ground staff, the shunters, the guards etc,

Tony Gregory wrote the fantastic “Life on the Leicester Line” and Tim Healme wrote “Derby Trainman” and something similar for the East midlands, freight and passenger, so Toton – which is massively under written about, Nottingham, Derby, Westhouses, Shirebrook, Barrow Hill, Worksop would be fantastic.

Having done the secondary research to find the applicable sectional appendices, timetables etc, the next stage would be to get together with those that actually worked the trains, staffed the yards, signalled the trains etc for a chat over tea and biscuits using the timetables, SA’s etc to draw out the reminisces, the working practices, the history etc, which I would then write up,

Any one who may be interested in such a project, please drop me a PM

Look forward to hearing from you

Best regards

Alex.

Archived