Point motors/Hornby Select controller

AngryMeerkat

Good evening all, hope somebody can help me ......

I've recently fitted 9 point motors, a mix of Hornby and seep. The 9 point motors are operated by 7 on-off-on switches, with 2 pairs of motors operated by 2 switches.

When I purchased the Seep motors I was told that using the accessory output from the Hornby Select DCC controller would be fine. So I've used a common return wire to the -ve output, and used a short bus wire from the +ve to the back of the control panel then individual +ve to each switch. Each point motor takes its +ve switchable feed from a switch, there are no bus wires used from switch to motor at all.

Trouble is, every time I operate a point motor the Hornby Select controller resets itself, as if its been switched off and on. All the single point motors work fine, but the 2 pairs of point motors don't operate properly, they are trying to switch but never quite make it.

I've checked all the wiring, and its all spot on without any problems. So what am I doing wrong? Apparently the output from the Select controller is 15v DC, but I keep reading on here that it should be 16v AC? Do I need a separate power source for the point motors? A CDU?

Any help much appreciated,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I would seriously use a CDU!

The output from the Select aux port is 15vDC but the current it can supply is not that high.

Trying to operate two point motors wired together is just going to draw way too much current.

You normally find that a CDU will required an AC power supply, I've used a cheap plug in wall type transformer, same as what is supplied with the Select, these can be picked up cheaply as you can use a 1amp power supply.

The CDU will only take a small amount of current while "charging" the capacitors but will release a large burst of power when triggered, which should be enough to operate two point motors.

I only use the AUX port on the Select or Elite to power low amp items such as LED's.

Cheers

Ian

Archived