7mm RCH 7-plank Mineral Wagons

Willy

I haven't posted for a while so I thought it was about time I shared some recent work with you.

These are a pair of Lionheart 1923 RCH 7-plank Mineral Wagons and at £72.00 for the pair, I think they are excellent value when you compare them with similar wagons in kit form. I have modified one of the wagons to a “London” plank version which I think adds a bit of interest.

I still have a bit of work to do, particularly on the underframe, but they are getting there so if anyone has any suggestions for improvement I would be glad to hear them.

post-7068-0-72105200-1349955629_thumb.jpg

post-7068-0-64672900-1349955665_thumb.jpg

post-7068-0-52754600-1349955702_thumb.jpg

post-7068-0-23591000-1349955737_thumb.jpg

The sub floor is metal and althought I haven't put it on the scales to see exactly how much, it does provide some good weight. Everything else should be self explanatory.

post-7068-0-21350100-1349955767_thumb.jpg

Willy

The Lionheart wagons are good, aren't they. The beam compensation is a nice touch and they are very reasonably priced. I have a pair of their 16 ton mineral wagons in the early stages of weathering.

You've made a great job of the weathering, they look very nice.

Personally, I would drybrush a bit of rush on the metal work of the body. But remember everyone has a different opinion on weathering, so just go for what you feel is right.

Thank you all for your positive comments.

I'm seeing them - very nice! If you happen across a scale to weigh one...

They are packed away at the moment while I carry out some work in the layout room but I seem to remember that they came in at around 150g or just over 5oz.

The Lionheart wagons are good, aren't they. The beam compensation is a nice touch and they are very reasonably priced. I have a pair of their 16 ton mineral wagons in the early stages of weathering.

You've made a great job of the weathering, they look very nice.

Personally, I would drybrush a bit of rush on the metal work of the body. But remember everyone has a different opinion on weathering, so just go for what you feel is right.

I want to try out a bit of dry brushing, but not too much, especially around the underframe.

Willy, how late would these have lasted looking like this? Any as late as the early 60s?

I would imagine they would have lasted until the early 60s but they would have been scarce by then owing the building of thousands of 16T steel minerals..

Willy

• 2 weeks later...

For £72 quid a pair, they are amazing value. I couldn't build and complete Slaters' PO wagons (with the additional brass bits I buy in for interiors, etc.) for anything near that price. The weathering effect is fantastic - very difficult to achieve.

Wagons with wooden underframes like these would have been fairly early casualties to the onslaught of the 16-tonners;the ones with the steel RCH underframe would have lasted a bit longer. The weathering is excellent- just like the ones I remember around the Machynis area of Llanelli at the beginning of the 1960s, bearing 'Condemmed' and 'loco coal- one journey only' markings.

Very nice modelling indeed.

There were few steel framed Private Trader wagons although the LMS and LNER had some. These models have RCH oil boxes, so would have lasted until the mid 1960s, with numbers diminishing rapidly from the early 1950s onwards (the first PT wagons to be eradicated had grease axle boxes). The topic http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/36891-16t-minerals/page__fromsearch__1 has a surprising number of wooden mineral wagons in some views taken in the early 1960s.

Paul Bartlett

Thank you all for the positive comments and yes Poggy, at £72 quid a pair, they are amazing value and you couldn't build Slaters' or Parkside PO wagons to anything like that standard for that price!

My new layout will be based around 1960, when the Class 33s were introduced so they will be just about at the end of their days by then.

Thanks again.

Willy

• 6 months later...

Archived