Using Viessmann catenary with Peco track

sparks

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience of using Viessmann catenary with Peco (or similar) track?

Given that the catenary is designed to be used with European track systems with moulded ballast, does this mean that the contact wire will be too high when used with Peco track? Does the track need to be laid on a few layers or cork or something to lift it up?

The photos on this thread imply that this is the case:- http://www.rmweb.co.....php?f=9&t=8438

Thanks

Stuart

I think most European systems are on the high side - I use HObbex H section masts which are also a bit too tall, and even come with spacers to make them even taller! However the masts are completely separate from the bases and are made of plastic so easy to trim down - indeed this alows me to realistically bring the catenary down low to go under bridges, and high over level crossings - masts almost full length for the latter. I was quite suprised that they are so high since they are supposedly designed for HO.

• 2 weeks later...

Stuart, I've done a similar experiment, this may be some help to you. The photo shows a short length of Peco Code 100 track on Trackrite foam underlay, and some Viesmann No.4110 masts with a No.4143 OHW section. The height from the head of the rail to the contact wire was 67mm, and the height of the track and underlay combined was 8mm.

6350436910_fd4bb7c32a_b.jpg

For information, the comparative wire heights full size in OO (approximately) minimum 4200mm = 55mm, Normal 4800mm = 64mm, Maximum 5800mm = 76mm. In practice model pans will not go down realisticly low and still work well, so it is worth sticking to the values above, which is a pity since it would make wiring under bridges on an existing layout much easier!

• 2 months later...

I acquired some Viessmann parts over Christmas and couldn't resist a quick experiment with the Bergs Sydney Suburban stock that I will be using for my project.

First up is a Standard motor from the original range:-

post-4916-0-98415500-1356834491.jpg

No problem here, although the pantograph is very over-extended.

Next is a Parcel Van from the current range:-

post-4916-0-44709600-1356834571.jpg

This pantograph has a much smaller travel and the wire height is at the maximum reach.

So, with the addition of 3mm cork underlay we get this, which I think is workable:-

post-4916-0-53893500-1356834729.jpg

Stuart

The "tombstone" is a two-piece mounting for the mast. Removing either piece would mean there'd be no way of reliably positioning and securing the mast to the baseboard.

Sparks, I didn't realise your project involved Sydney single-deckers. Seeing your models makes me feel rather nostalgic. When I first took up as a suburban guard I was at Punchbowl, when that depot's fleet was mainly single-deck sets. Happy days!

looks promising!

Indeed! I hope to get started soon.

Wouldn't it be better to lower the mast by removing the tombstone?

As Dullsteamer says, the bottom section screws to the baseboard while the upper section is attached to the mast and slides in to provide some fine adjustment.

Sparks, I didn't realise your project involved Sydney single-deckers. Seeing your models makes me feel rather nostalgic. When I first took up as a suburban guard I was at Punchbowl, when that depot's fleet was mainly single-deck sets. Happy days!

I wanted to build something small to get me back into the hobby, so I decided to base it around some stock I already had. I promised myself that I wouldn't buy any more until I had built the layout but then I came across the last few Parcel Vans on the Bergs stand at the Liverpool exhibition. Ahem....

• 6 months later...

Archived