Solebars and logos

Jack P

Hi guys,

Yes i've scoured the web, and I have no books, yet. So I just have a few questions:

Solebars:

When were they painted brown

Were the bufferbeams brown too, or did they stay black?

Did any wagons not get solebars painted brown

Logo:

Regarding the small SR logo, does it go; From the top of the wagon down - tare measurement, small logo, wagon number?

would it have been common for wagons to still have the large logo SR in 1947?

- If not, when were all wagons re-logoed by?

Sorry if these are unclear. OP is tired.

All the best to all

- Jack

• 1 month later...

Greetings to NZ, good country for railways I discovered on my only trip there some years ago.

Just come across your post. I've got a book "Railway Liveries Southern Railway " by Brian Haresnape which has a few comments that relate to your questions.

I quote:

1. Maunsell years (1923 - 1937) -

"Goods wagons - dark brown bodywork, sides and ends. The dark brown often extended over the solebars and headstocks as well, with black patches painted on to carry white painted inscriptions or chalked dates. Black underframes wheels etc." There are a couple of pictures showing the large SR letters.

2. Bulleid years (1937-1947)

"Just prior to Bullieid's arrival at Waterloo the decison was made to stop using the large white SR letters and to place it on each side in small letters in the bottom left hand corner. Bulleid did not alter this" This would mean 1937 or thereabouts.

And

"The vast majority of goods wagons remained painted in the patch-painted appearance adopted during the war for economy. with only the left hand lower corner properly painted to carry the number and other details"

There is one photo of the left hand half of what appears to be a 7 plank wagon showing SR on plank 3, then below it is 12T on plank 2 and the number at bottom on plank 1. (lowest plank). They are to the left of the diagonal strapping.

It may be that wagons were not repainted very often anyway and certainly not during WW2 so could be quite a mixture in 1947, but no doubt very grimy!

All I can find I'm afraid.

Archived