Cutting the planks on a cattle wagon

• RMweb Gold

Hi chaps,

I've started to build a couple of cattle wagons using the Airfix kit as a starting point. I've been cutting through the vents to clear them, using a mixture of a .4mm drill and a sharp scalpel blade. (Geoff Kent in his books recommends the same method.)

post-7376-0-31707000-1350221989_thumb.jpg

It's taken ages to get it to this stage, which doesn't bother me, as I want it to look right, but does this look ok, or is there an easier method that I am overlooking!?

Please be critical, but helpful! (The model normally would be 3 feet away from the operating position)

Regards,

Nick

P.S. It does need a bit of cleaning up in places! Working progress!

IIRC, I did it exactly the same way as you describe when I made a couple of these about thirty years ago. However, I think if I was to do it again, I might try either a fine piercing saw blade or perhaps scraping with the tip of a razor saw to get the initial slots cut out more quickly. Finishing could then be done with the scalpel.

Remember that on a W12 (and some examples of modified earlier diagrams), there is no slot at the bottom right corner to protect the handbrake from getting too unpleasant.

Nick

Nick, I think its the only way!

I made some 'micro chisels' by grinding down and sharpening flat bladed jewelers screwdrivers (using a slitting disc in a mini drill!!!).

Really useful and very sharp.

ps they also won me £50 for Model Rails tip of the month, when they used to do it!

Archived