4mm NEM Couplings

Brian Kirby

Hi Everyone,

I spotted these presumably new Dapol NEM couplings on Hatton's website this morning:

http://www.ehattons....tockDetail.aspx

Has anyone tried these yet? If so, are the hooks made of steel/iron (ferrous) or alloy (non-ferrous)? If the latter, they will be the equivalent of the Bachmann alloy hooks and i reckon suitable for magnetic operation. You could add my old steel staple uncoupler idea to whatever the metal is, but steel hooks can eventually become magnetized and stick together, so alloy hooks work best.

I assume these new couplings will fit directly to the Dapol RTR range, but i wonder if they will also fit the Airfix/Dapol wagon kits?

Cheers, Brian.

Hi again,

This one seems to have flummoxed everyone, i thought perhaps this spares release was too new for people to report back. I then realized that this narrow style coupling seems to have started with the release of the Fruit D vans a couple of years back and now are standard issue on all Dapol RTR wagons, i haven't bought any for ages. I dug out two of my Fruit Ds and i'd forgotten that i'd already converted one to Bachmann couplings, because sure enough the Dapol hooks tested as steel with a magnet. I also tested one of Dapol's VTG bogie wagons, same coupling head, but longer mounting arm, the Fruit D arm is probably also longer than the normal short 4-wheelers. So is there a third shorter type for the latter and are these what are supplied in the bumper bag of 40 pairs for sixteen quid odd? I'm sure these are perfectly good couplings, to replace on a like-for-like basis, but i think i'll just use the Bachmann NEM alloy hook version on the Dapol arms. BK

Archived