Middlesbrough Iron Works

Hi All

I posted in the Steel making on Teeside thread but I was not in full possession of the facts about the information I was seeking, since then I have done some more research, so I can now put some flesh on the bones.

The site I am seeking information about is on Vulcan St adjacent to the transporter bridge in St Hilda’s Middlesbrough, I understand that it was the original iron works of Blocklow Vaughan.

I have only ever heard the site referred to as ‘Dock Street Foundry’ by the Ex BSC staff I have been in contact with but it was a lot more than that, so I have found having looked at various old OS maps thanks to www.old-maps.co.uk.

On the maps the site is referred to as the Middlesbrough Iron Works, but I have also seen it noted as the Vulcan Iron works.

From maps and various links I have found on the internet I have created a brief time line of the history of the site.

1857: site is rail connected and a number of blast furnaces can be seen on maps

1895: site is shown as Middlesbrough Iron Works with Cleveland salt works adjacent

1911; photos of the new transporter bridge show the site and blast furnaces in operation in the background

1915: transporter bridge has been built and a coal depot is shown at the far East side of the site adjacent to Vulcan St

1929: Blast furnaces appear out of use, no rail connection shown to furnaces

1955: Salt works demolished

1973-1980 site is still shown as rail connected with branch lines running along Vulcan St and Lower Commercial St serving various industrial sites. The site is shown as complete and works still has its loco shed in place.

1983-1990 all buildings on the site are shown standing but all rail connections to the site and adjacent industrial building have gone only railway shown are those to the docks.

I did have a look around the area in the 1990’s but by this time the site only had a few bulidings standing and they are still there now, but I think the rest of the area has now been cleared including the works of Richardson, Westgarth Co.

http://www.flickr.co...ckow/2357594688 this link has a couple of photos of Vulcan St outside the works, it the road outside looked like this what joys were inside!

Many thanks

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Andy

Having been dragged up in Middlesbrough I do tend to take an interest in the history of the area. For example my Father in law used to work along Dock Street and used the 'A' bus to travel back and to every day from Acklam (including going home for lunches!)

In answer to your enquiry - have you contacted 'Bolckow' on Flickr. I have no connection but am simply an interested observer. He is shown as a Middlesbrough Historian who might be able to point you in the right direction.

regards

Ray

Hi Hesperus,

Thats a love photo of the Ruston, but its the wrong side of the river!, I do know that the site had two SCW Class Planet locos one of which is preserved.

Thanks Ray, I have given some thought to contacting Bolckow on flickr as I do have some photos already that he may like to see.

I find it somewhat supprising that this is the site where iron making in Middlesbrough began and yet there is so little that appears to be written about it or recorded in photographs, it may be I am just looking in the worng place.

The area must have been amazing for industrial railway operations in its day with a number of adjacent streets have lines laid down them and numorous buildings rail connected, an most of the infrastructure being inplace until the 1970's

Thanks for the advice and leads

Andy

Archived