Finding the routes that railtours are due to take?

jonhall

Is there a website that will tell me what route a railtour is due to take? I'm on the Grinkle Belle to Boulby Potash mine next weekend, but the return leg is taking nearly 5 hours to get from York to Finsbury Park.

Looking at the drop off times there is an extra half hour or so in the Peterbro-Hertford section, but the real excess seems to be in York-Peterbro - can anyone tell me which way we are travelling - I simply cannot believe that the ECML has enough loops for us to stagger between, so I'm assuming a diversion?

As its all in the dark anyway I'm getting tempted to book a £40 advance single back on EastCoast because even allowing for an extra hour before leaving York (to allow for a RST arrival) I can still be back at Kings Cross (and assuming everything else is equal, home) nearly two hours before the railtour. It seems a shame to have paid for a 1st class seat that I won't have used for most of the return, but a 5am-midnight day is loosing its appeal.

Thanks

Jon

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jon,

There AFAIK there is no website as such, the usual source of timings is via the Forum section of WNXX http://www.wnxx.com/. You do have to register to get access to the forum.

The Boulby trip is booked class 66 traction so will be spending a lot of time in loops as 75 mph paths are limited on the ECML. From memory looking at work last week, Ranskill, Claypole, and Fletton loops all featured as pathing stops on this trip, plus slow lines from Huntingdon to KX.

HTH

Simon

After my experience on a railtour last Saturday I reckon that Network Rail use Guinevere and set of balls 4 to do their timings. They managed to retime the tour during the day without telling the organiser so we sat outside Leicester unexpectedly for almost 20 minutes.

Chris

Archived