Class 47 Battery Box and Fuel Tank Subframe

Mark

I am currently in the process of converting a Bachmann Class 47 with Ian Penberths sprung bogies. The work for this is nearly complete apart from modifying the bogies and setting up the springs. The loco I have is one of the early batch with Class 57 bogies and battery box assembly.

Since I have the loco apart, I have decided to carry out some more fundamental modifications. I have reduced the depth of the valence around the front buffer beam by cutting a strip out of the middle and carrying out a cut and shut and I have designed some etches for a new buffer beam overlay, with front steps and new buffer mounting base plates. I have come up with a design for the bogie steps and am 95% of the way to sorting out the brake linkage and guard irons.

I am also intending to replace the cab door window, either by designing an etched overlay with the correct window height, or by CNC machining a plastic insert.

I am also contemplating doing something for the Serck Grills on the roof.

The problem is what to do with the Bachmann battery box assembly. The Heljan spares in Howes never seem to be available, so I am going to design an etched assembly instead. I have found various photo's on different blogs, which give me a pretty clear indication of the position and layout of equipment, but the difficult part is working out how far the sub fame beam is set inboard from the sides of the loco. It is important to get this right as the water tanks are suspended from Brackets that are angled out from the beam and these are quite characteristic. I am only intending to do this activity for 47/0 and 47/4 locos as running up to around 1980.

To this end, does anybody know how far back these beams are from the side of the loco for the main part of the beam and also the two bracketed projections at each end? Any help will be most appreciated.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

Hi Mark

I think I know which bits you are referring to but any chance you could identify them on a photo?

I don't have any photo's that don't breach copyright rules, but there are some very good shots on Brian Daniels Flickr site on the following links:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/5863589558/in/set-72157627029323184/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/5863590082/in/set-72157627029323184/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/5863590556/in/set-72157627029323184/

Thanks

Regards

Mark Humphrys

I think this photo shows some of what you are after?

post-6733-0-39212300-1351101317.jpg

The battery boxes (I think) are 529mm deep (I have measured them but lost the bit of paper) but I can try and get some measurements next Tuesday when I can get my hands on 1693 again.

EDIT: Feel free to scribble all over the photo as it's one of mine.

I think this photo shows some of what you are after?

post-6733-0-39212300-1351101317.jpg

The battery boxes (I think) are 529mm deep (I have measured them but lost the bit of paper) but I can try and get some measurements next Tuesday when I can get my hands on 1693 again.

EDIT: Feel free to scribble all over the photo as it's one of mine.

Thanks for that. I have added some lines to your photo which illustrate the area where I am struggling.post-67-0-91931800-1351106300.jpg

All the dimensions are from the body panels to the face of the beams.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

• 2 weeks later...

Archived