GNR /LNER Allendale Branch

Hi All

This is my first foray into the forums here so I hope i got the correct section of the forums to post in.

I am currently researching the Allendale Branch Line of the GNR specifically the Allendale (Catton Road) station and immediate surrounding area with a view to constructing a model railway

I have found some great information and a few photos of the Allendale terminus along with a track plan of the station on the Disused Stations website. However, as i want the representation to be as accurate as possible circa 1930 -1950 I am still hungry for more information.

I am hoping some of you out here may be able to help me fill in the gaps. as the National Rail Archives have very little

I have a track plan of the station its self and a few photos of the Station both building with and without its canopy. also a photo of the station taken from the terminal end bridge looking back over the station and track layout. however i have a "Wish list" of other bits of information that i need to make any representation more accurate. Please see below

1 The Length of the stone platform initially built

2 The Length of the additional wooden platform constructed around the turn of the 20th Century

3 The Length of the small turntable at the South end of the platform i think the biggest loco on the line would have been a G5 4-4-0 so the table wouldnt have been huge.

3 The Number of and Class of Locos in use at this time loco numbers would be great too for authenticity. I have heard that J21s and G5s at the early stages and possible WD J94s in the latter years after passenger transport stopped; would have been in use in this area. If anyone can confirm that or offer info on other locos that may have been used in this region at this time period then i'd be interested in hearing from you.This goes for rolling stock too I'm assuming that the industrial nature of the area would have precluded the use of rakes of coal trucks but i am informed other cargos such as general freight, livestock and possibly oil would have been commonplace. Any info on these again would be great as would the type of passenger coach used on the branch line upto the closure of the passenger service in 1930. Again im assuming Teak livery suburban coaches but there is a piece of information i have come accross stating a passengers delight at the "Quality of the passenger coaches" and their having "Elliptical" roofs as opposed to arched ones. What would other branch lines in the GNR be using around these times?

5 Although the local creamery did not have a siding for its own use its close proximity to the station would suggest milk was transported to Hexam / Newcastle therefore if there is any info out there on the design and construction of the creamery and the goods shed during the period I would be delighted to recieve info from anyone holding it .

6 The South Western siding was apparently given over to a weighbridge. if there are any wpictures available on rail Weighbridges of the time please feel free to direct me to the links or post below.

Lastly if anyone has any written material they would be willing to part with on these subjects or any that may be relevant I would of course be willing to pay postage and packing for it. Just respond below to this thread and i will get contact info to you.

Many thanks in advace

Deltic Dave

Archived