Scanner sounds on layouts

Talltim

Watching a vid of train, which had an talking defect detector reporting in (can you hear them when near or do they just broadcast on the RR radio frequency?) led me to thinking, has anyone 'modelled' a radio scanner on a layout?

I've listened to a Guilford one over the net before and I'm sure there must be others available. I suppose the simplest would be to play the web feed (quietly) over speakers on the layout, but something more customised for your traffic would be cool, maybe a working axle detector reporting in, or specific samples triggered by the operator to match moves made on the layout

I was operating on a model layout in St Louis, MO that was next to the UP line from St Louis to Kansas City. The layout had a crossing with the MKT on it that the crews had to move a gate and set a signal before they crossed. The rule was if you came to the crossing and a UP train was passing by, that meant the MKT was going through the crossing and the model crew had to wait until it was "clear' before they opened the gate and set the signal.

"Mood" noises should be done in moderation. Too many, too often and it becomes really, really annoying.

Defect detectors broadcast on railroad frequencies. Some are set to annouce only if there is a defect. One of the original voices used on some detectors was Majel Barrett, wife of Gene Rodenberry and the voice of the computer on Star Trek (among other roles).

I was operating on a model layout in St Louis, MO that was next to the UP line from St Louis to Kansas City. The layout had a crossing with the MKT on it that the crews had to move a gate and set a signal before they crossed. The rule was if you came to the crossing and a UP train was passing by, that meant the MKT was going through the crossing and the model crew had to wait until it was "clear' before they opened the gate and set the signal.

So they waited for the 'real' train to pass before continuing? I assume they used a scanner to listen for it passing?

"Mood" noises should be done in moderation. Too many, too often and it becomes really, really annoying.

Definatly. It's probably more of a lone operator at home thing

I had a post about this at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/41466-talking-detectors/page__hl__defect__fromsearch__1 This has links to defect detector messages that can be found on the web, played, and downloaded, as well as links to products. I downloaded an SP message and had ITTC load it onto one of their sound modules. I then connected it to a block occupancy detector on my layout with a Dallee Electronics device that sends a momentary impulse. It works fine. I mostly operate alone, and not all the layout is visible at once, so sound effects are helpful in telling me the train is running OK. However, I very seldom run round and round anyhow, so the repetition isn't so much of a problem. If I do run round and round at an open house, the sound effect works exactly as the prototype intended, letting me know the train has run by such-and-such when I can't see it.

So they waited for the 'real' train to pass before continuing? I assume they used a scanner to listen for it passing?

Nope. As I said the house was less than 100 yards from the tracks. You could hear even though we were in the basement.

Archived