Craven Bridge

Steve B

I've been lurking long enough, so time to post something real. After a break of about 20 years, I finally have time and space to work on a new layout. Craven Bridge is based on the concept that Barnoldswick was a through station. Most of it is based on the Barnoldswick Station, with the shed and goods yard put back in, even though they were long gone by the BR period. The bridge refers to a version of the double arch road bridge over the Leeds Liverpool Canal at East Marton. I've changed it to a railway bridge, though still over the canal. Ideas from Skipton are overlaid into the layout. Mostly working with the steam that was primary on the line, though I have acquired one DMU in green. Building at this distance from the UK means everything must be ordered and wait for shipping, so it is a slow process. All buildings must be plastic or resin, since I don't believe the card ones will deal well with our heat/cold/humidity issues. When it came down to choosing an area, I really didn't have much choice, Great Grandad was a driver on the L&YR and Grandad was a driver on the LMS, based out of Newton Heath.

Pictures to follow, as soon as the temps rise enough to let me work in the attic again. Until then, it's all workbench and prep work.

• 1 month later...

Things progress, now that the temperature is above freezing in the attic and I can work again. Instead of a circle with an open center, I ripped the baseboard apart and am redoing it to a dogbone layout- 2 parallel tracks in each direction with a turning circle at each end. One set of tracks will be unseen behind the background. Center section will be the station, goods yard and coal yard.

I'm kitbashing the station out of 2 Wills kits and a Ratio kit. It won't be an exact duplicate of Barnoldswick station, but it will have the same basic profile and layout. One problem I'm having is finding a decent country pub for the layout. Skaledale's Boar's Head would be ideal or their Golden Fleece, but they are out of production and I don't see anyone else with anything similar. Anybody know of anywhere with some old stock?

Just acquired the Bachmann Jinty and I'm extremely happy with it. Now I just need to get a couple of suburban coaches to go with it.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

The general form is a folded bone with the return track hidden behind the backboard. The outer track is about 25 feet, so doubling it and adding the sidings, probably about 60 feet of track in all. I'm still drawing it out and then I'll get it scanned and posted. I tried looking at the computerised track plans, but I'm computer illiterate enough that it made no sense. Thanks for the comment on the canal.

Steve.

• 2 months later...

Since last posting I have turned the layout 90 degrees and hidden the return tracks behind the backboard. I'm currently scratchbuilding a water tower building by converting sections of a plate bridge and adding them to an old Atlas water tower building. Slow progress as I don't get nearly enough time to work on this.

Steve

• 1 year later...

Yet another complete revision of the track plan. The more I looked at it as a shunting plank and the more I saw other layouts that offered continous operation, I decided to go for it. The attic has been rearranged, new baseboards built, and I'm finally back to laying track. Hopefully, I can now move ahead and actually get something to show for a couple of years worth of work.

Steve

Archived