Queensland Model Railway Show pics

DavidB-AU

Great pics David.

I went yesterday but couldn't take any pics because the #&%$ camera wasn't working! My favourite layouts? The QR ones naturally!

Just a bit of trivia for those unfamiliar with Queensland Rail.

The tender of A10 No.6 can be seen in a few of the AMRA Garden Railway images. This was the second class of loco purchased by QR and were originally known as B Class locos. The red 0-4-2 loco featured in a few of Davids' images of Kingsbridge is a model of this loco, recently produced by Wuiske Models in partnership with DJH (no connection to either, just a happy customer)

Also appearing in the background of some of the AMRA Garden Railway images is the Queensland Rail DL Class Diesel loco. Built in 1939, they were the first diesel locos operated by Queensland Rail (not including railmotors) and are credited as being the first Government owned locomotives built for a State railway system in Australia. The honour of the first diesel loco used in Australia goes to a loco operated on a private 2' gauge timber tramway in Victoria in 1935.

Also making an appearance in some of the shots are the QR Garratt No. 1009, the tender and a bit of the cab from BB181/4 Class Pacific 1079 and PB15 742 and in the background of that same image, DH 2.

Matt.

Edit: To ammend info about DL class.

Some great photos there, David. I haven't had a chance to look at all of them in detail but those I did were very good. I like the look of the Kingsbridge layout. One shot shows three of QR's diesel liveries over the years although I can't get used to older designs like the 1470/1502 in yellow and maroon livery! That pairing behind wouldn't have happened in reality as the 1720 (EMD) and 1620 (English Electric) had different control voltages so couldn't work in multiple - maybe they're in tandem with a crew in each loco. :)

At various times I rode on most of those 2000 class centre cars (2051, 2053, and 2055) but I don't remember 2057. I have also ridden behind 1079 on some of the ARHS trips in the past.

For anyone outside of Queensland wondering about the strange steam locomotive classifications, the numbers were the cylinder diameter in inches and the letter preceding it was the number of driving axles (but one out from the usual Continental scheme) where A=2 driven axles, B=3, C=4 and D= ... a tank engine with any number of axles! Then they added letters in front to distinguish similar types; thus there was an original 4-6-2 class B181/4 then a newer class of pacifics with the same cylinder diameter so they became the BB181/4 class. Similarly, there was a B15 class so when they produced a similar class with bigger wheels for passenger train use, they became the PB15 ('Passenger' B15}.

The nomenclature was quite obviously developed 'in house' without reference to any other railway system that I know of!! :lol:

Hiding behind the Garratt you can just see AC16 class No. 221A. It's a USATC S118 class built by Baldwin and one of 20 brought to Australia by the US Army in 1943. Hence it is known as "The Yank".

http://picasaweb.go...288409956454498

The real A10 No.6 was "assembled" and on display last year.

http://picasaweb.go...864756758429250

http://picasaweb.go...864800106493666

It's Australia's oldest operational steam loco, built in 1865. And it's main line accredited! It doesn't get out very much for obvious reasons but did venture out on a charter a couple of months ago.

Cheers

David

Archived