GWR Station Masters House Standard Pattern Info Sought

• RMweb Premium

I am planning to scratch build such a detached property in brick for my N gauge Layout ( Vale of Oxbury ). There was a standard Pattern for these buildings and many still exist in both in brick and local stone.

Google street view is great for a full on front view and I can see excelent examples at both Culham and Kemble. A trawl through the Model Magazines over recent years has only turned up a nice 2 page article by Chris Leigh called Domestic Bliss ( MR102 ) with a range of photos, again mostly front or side views.

On my layout the back of the house will be the side that is viewed so, does any one have information as to the typical rear configuration or know where I may acquire scale plans?

Look forward to reading ideas from the GWR experts on the forum.

Thanks Carl.

There are detailed plans and 2mm/ft elevations of Arley station building in the book 'The Severn Valley Railway at Arley' by Barrie Geens, published in 1985 by Wild Swan.

I'm not sure if this is the type of building you're after? It was (and still is) a house and station buildings together.

• RMweb Gold

The Station Master's houses at both Henley-on-thames and Twyford can be seen reasonably well on Google Streetview although the former - which is at the end of a close - is partially obscured by high hedges. Both appear to have original pattern windows and definitely the original brickwork (they differ from each other in the latter respect).

• 2 months later...

The Station Master's houses at both Henley-on-thames and Twyford can be seen reasonably well on Google Streetview although the former - which is at the end of a close - is partially obscured by high hedges. Both appear to have original pattern windows and definitely the original brickwork (they differ from each other in the latter respect).

Nice period house you have there, Mike

Archived