Axlebox question - which are these?

The Nth Degree

I'd like to buy a white metal kit (7mm) but the origin and prototype are unknown to the seller. I do have a picture of the axlebox, which may provide a clue to those much more knowledgable than myself - quite frankly, that's the majority of the membership here!

Does anyone have any ideas?

post-11337-0-33295200-1352242591.jpg

A picture of the rest of the kit could be useful.

Axleboxes appear to be a two bolt fixing cover with the bolts vertical.

LSWR oil boxes from around 1890 are like this, there could of course be many others or they may even just be a "generic" model without any specific prototype.

Pete

Generically a 4 plank general merchandise open

I tried to find an example on Paul Bartlett's site but failed miserably. The closest I got was a early 20thC MR wagon. It doesn't surprise me it is 19thC. There would be too much work involved to transform it into a LNER or even GE or GN wagon. I think I'll pass.

I have looked at the images using the zoom in IE and cannot see any feature which I recognise as being "X" or "Y"... the sides are for a three plank with curb rail and that would be appropriate for 1880-1890s construction. My impression is LSWR.... based upon photos of those wagons which were used for stone traffic. Given that the manufacturer is ABS then you can be sure that there is a prototype somewhere.

As you have mentioned building in a GE / GN style, send a pm to Buckjumper and ask for his thoughts on any GER wagon that is similar to the body.

I'm inclined to agree with Western Star and Rail-Online that it is intended to represent an LSWR 3 plank dropside wagon with wooden underframe. Examples are shown in Bixley et al. An Illustrated History of Southern Wagons: Volume One: LSWR & S&DJR. Plate 9 shows an early (pre-1890 livery) example at Bodmin where they were used on stone traffic carrying granite blocks. This is No 8820, also labelled "B&W LINE 65". Figure 2 shows SR diagram 1301 that covered those built between 1890 and 1899, some of which had with steel underframes. Some early ones were rated at seven tons (it is suggested because they reused parts from earlier vehicles) whilst most were ten tons. Most wooden underframe versions had single-sided brakes. By 1910-12, many of the brakes (as on the diagram) were Morton type. Some of the steel and one (maybe more) of the wooden ones found there way into ED stock, the last wooden one being withdrawn in 1951 and the last steel ones in 1959.

Nick

Archived