Worsley Works New Zealand Hudswell Clarke D29 Diesel

• RMweb Gold

Good evening,

Been looking on the Worsley Works website and found this kit of a prototype which looks quite interesting. Was this type of loco ever used in the UK?

http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/Image-Pag ... _NZ-HC.htm

I haven't contacted Worsley Works directly but was wondering if anyone on here had built one? These kits are more 'Scratch Aids' as opposed to full kits so do they contain any castings for the chimney/radiator grill?

Finally, any idea of a suitable chassis?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Well, I built that one!

The kit is complete with an etched fold up inner frame, designed to take a Branchlines gearbox with a delrin chain drive to link the axles. When the kit came to me to build, it had wheels, gears, chains etc. with it, so they may by supplied with the kit as purchased.

It is not a complete kit and I ended up making a number of detail parts, including the cab interior and the starter motor gear on the front. There are moves afoot to include extra detailing parts but I am not sure if they are anywhere near yet.

It does include very nice castings for the grill and the chimney as well as some other bits.

It is designed for the New Zealand market and is to a scale of 9mm:1ft. When run on 32mm track that works out at pretty close to 3' 6" gauge. There is a small but growing range of kits in that scale, as a look at the Glenorchy Models website shows.

I hope that helps but if there is anything else ou need to know just ask and I will help if I can.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning Tony,

Thanks for the reply. It's good that it's got the chimney/radiator grill though.

Have you got any photographs of your build? Be good to see some if you have them.

I wonder if one of Brian Madge's chassis would fit underneath this kit like one supplied in his Ruston/Quarry Hunslet kits?

Link below:

http://www.madge00n3.co.uk/chassis.htm

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

It is a scale/gauge combination that was pretty much created simply because it fits 32mm track at 3' 6" gauge.

I do have some photos of the build but I am a bit reluctant to post them here because there is a chance that there may be an article on the construction appearing and it seems a bit unfair on the publication if they are posted here first.

I will say is that the main construction is pretty straightforward and the drive mechanism supplied is so dead simple that it seems a bit pointless looking at alternatives. It is a one piece fold up inner frame and there is plenty of room for the motor/gears/drive chain. It works beautifully too, with a good gear reduction of 80:1. The one on Worsley Works website was a test etch and may be the first one ever built (it is as far as I know) but it came with all the drive bits so shelling out for other drive arrangements may be a bit of a waste of money.

I suppose you could build it to run on other gauges, in which case alternative drive arrangements start to make sense!

The only tricky bit at the moment is the need to scratcbhbuild a lot of detail parts. The cab is so open that a detailed interior is pretty much a must, otherwise it looks ever so empty! Greg from Glenorchy Models, who is based in NZ was able to supply me with drawings and lots of photos of preserved locos, so I have plenty of information to go on. I did sketch out some basic artwork for a lot of the detail parts and it is hoped that they will be turned into proper artwork for etching and included in the kit.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning Tony,

Thanks for the indepth reply.

The chassis does sound straight forward and as you say. I will order one of these kits in the near future once I've cleared the workbench a bit.

Here's a link to the post I put on NGRM with some photos of models and also a diagram:

http://www.ngrm-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7326&p=120228#p120228

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I am sure that Greg at Glenorchy Models will be pleased that his kits are raising a bit of interest on this side of the world!

I am not on that forum so I can't see your posting but thanks for spreading the word.

I do have some drawings and lots of photos that came to me to help me with the build. These include lots of close up detail shots of preserved locos, such as cab interiors, brake gear and the starter gear on the front of the footplate.

If they might be of interest to anybody I will ask Greg if he minds me scanning them and putting them on hee.

• RMweb Gold

Evening Tony,

Sorry fo the delay in replying.

I've just had a look at the Glenorchy site and there are some beautiful kits including the D29:

Link below:

http://glenorchymodels.co.nz/

If Greg would oblige that would be great to have some photos and drawings of these locos.

Cheers,

Mark

• 1 month later...

just to clear confusion, the blue one is the one at Ferrymead park in Christchurch; it has been modifed  with a taller cab & doors; the red one is located at MOTAT in Auckland and is in more original condition, apart from the radiator and starter motor changes.

a plan and some more of member t-b-g's pilot model assembly pix can be accessed on Yahoo!groups FS32NGModelrail site if seeking further info - see"Files" Hudswell Clarke D29 loco; also some material on the A & G Price Da loco,of  which 3 ran on 2 foot gauge track at a coal mine.

• RMweb Gold

Morning,

Brilliant photos of these little locos. Some nice detail shots too to aid construction of the kit.

I'll have a look at that link too.

Cheers,

Mark

Archived