K's/Nu-Cast GWR Aberdare Kit Instructions

Weaselfish

Good evening.

I've picked up a K's Aberdare off that well-known auction site. The kit's not been started, but there's no instruction sheet. The sheets for other K's kits I've picked up aren't the best I've seen, but it would certainly save a bit of time in identifying the parts. If anyone has a set and wouldn't mind letting me have a copy I'd be most grateful. If anyone's built one too I'd be interested to hear how that went too.

Thanks in anticipation,

Mark

Good evening.

I've picked up a K's Aberdare off that well-known auction site. The kit's not been started, but there's no instruction sheet. The sheets for other K's kits I've picked up aren't the best I've seen, but it would certainly save a bit of time in identifying the parts. If anyone has a set and wouldn't mind letting me have a copy I'd be most grateful. If anyone's built one too I'd be interested to hear how that went too.

Thanks in anticipation,

Mark

Hi.

I have the instructions, but the kit is not built. PM with your address if interested. Roger.

• 4 months later...

I was thinking of any of the 2-6-0 chassis that exist, but fully realise that there would have to be some mock outside frames added, probably by means of metal or plastic sections and of course alterations to the con rods via extension cranks added off the wheels. Just an idea!

I haven't checked whether the wheel diameters or spacings of any would match.

Good evening Richard. Martin Finney does an etched brass kit in 4mm. I was talking to the bloke from Dean Sidings at the Warley exhibition a couple of years ago who said he had a resin bodied kit in the pipeline which would use the Hornby 'James' chassis, but had had trouble designing and producing the outside cranks. There was no mention of it in his forthcoming kits plan at the end of 2012, so I presume that one didn't get anywhere.

ROGER (Gilwell Park, above): If you're still out there, did my PM get through?

Mark

Bristol Models also produced a cast kit for the Aberdare with a brass chassis.

There were different versions of K's Aberdare kit. If you purchased direct from Banbury you could specify the tender. As issued it came with the rivetted 3,500 gallon type, but the ex ROD or narrow 2,500, were also supplied in kits by request.

Mike Wiltshire

Good evening Richard. Martin Finney does an etched brass kit in 4mm. I was talking to the bloke from Dean Sidings at the Warley exhibition a couple of years ago who said he had a resin bodied kit in the pipeline which would use the Hornby 'James' chassis, but had had trouble designing and producing the outside cranks. There was no mention of it in his forthcoming kits plan at the end of 2012, so I presume that one didn't get anywhere.

ROGER (Gilwell Park, above): If you're still out there, did my PM get through?

Mark

Mark

It never got through, can you try again.

Roger.

Roger, the instructions came through and are perfect. Many thanks for your help. All the best.

Mark.

Mark

I will be interested to hear how you get on.  I am not keen on Ks wheels or the new , small motors. Also I feel it should have either a GCR tender or a GW 3000g type.

Best of luck.

Roger.

Here are the other two versions available from K's. The ROD tender has the original large K's double ended motor and is still going strong on original K's wheels after 25years..

The 2,500 gallon tender version had the tiny K's gearbox motor that did not last too long. It has been replaced by a Ultrascale gearbox motor (no longer avilable) and I replaced the K's wheels with Romfords at the same time, as I damaged one set whilst removing the original gearbox.

Mike Wiltshire

post-9992-0-39893700-1364576224_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-68755900-1364576227_thumb.jpg

The photos are very helpful Mike - I've not seen any photos of a constructed K's Aberdare before.

Roger - when I get started I'll certainly post something. There were no driving wheels or axles with the kit I've got so I got a set from Scalelink here - http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Locomotive_Driving_Wheels_.html - they're a Romford pattern. (Disclaimer - I've got no connection with Scalelink other than as a very occasional customer). I'm going to build the Aberdare as one of the post-1945 survivors with the ROD tender - probably 2620 which was at Stourbridge in the mid-40s.

• 1 year later...

Today I've been given a K's Aberdare kit (started then unglued) but hopefully complete, and a 3500 gallontender (completed nicely). However there are no instructions so I wonder if anybody can help please? Please pm me and I can then give an email address. Thanks in advance ( he says hopefully ....)

The instructions are not much more than an exploded diagram, but it does help to identify where some parts go. As for details a good book(s) will help much more. I have one of these and the wheels were awful and changed for Romfords, to be quite honest the chassis and motors can be quite indifferent as well. One of my favourite locos though which will be a nice addition to your collection

I had a similar problem with a Wills GWR City loco, thankfully Dave at Southeastern Finecast had a spare copy of the old style instructions which helps in identifying parts. No help in the order of building though, that will be a bit of trial and error. Note to self the next Wills loco will be bought from SEF.

Archived