Information on HST mileage

Andy1963

Currently I am working and living right next to Gods Wonderful Railway in rural Oxfordshire. All day long, late into the evening and from early morning, I have the pleasure of First Great Western HST's hammering up and down. This morning I was stuck at the level crossing while 3 passed, 2 up one down. It got me to thinking that they must have clocked up some incredible mileage figures by now. Some have been in service since 1976 and I know they all had new engines a few years ago, but given that the Westerns all did over 1,000,000 miles with the exception of 5, and some were in service for a little over 10 years, the HST's must have done many times that. I also know they don't work freight like the Westerns did, but there availability is emense. The Westerns and other loco's used to follow the train out of Paddington and go off to the depot and await another train to haul. So, if they have been in service for 36 years as some have, do more miles than loco's used to, I'm guessing some must be at around the 4.5 to 5 million miles point. Anyone got any actual mileages?

Archived