RMweb

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

On Jidenco Kits: My HR 4-4-0T with a Crewe front end build has run into an issue which is really bugging me. The front bogie as the kit is designed has very little movement for swing. I've tried making it pivot further back, but this hasn't worked, so I tried making it a 2-6-0, which is a bit better, but the second axle keeps de-railing. 

Its relegated the build to the naughty step, until I can face faffing with it again. I hate getting chassis running with tight spaces!

Andy G

1 hour ago, Kirby Uncoupler said:

I can think of two Jidenco kits, that I built for other people, roughly 30 years ago. One was a LSWR Beattie Well tank, the other was a SR W class 2-6-4T. Both were a challenge, even for a seasoned loco builder, lots of wraps formed things like the smokeboxes, you had to think ahead and make sure the final external wrap, had the join at the bottom, so it could be hidden. 

The real Beattie Well Tanks had quite large diameter boilers, for a small loco (2-4-0 WT), and quite large driving wheels (originally for suburban passenger use), the result being the flanges were about an inch away from the boiler cladding on the real thing. There was the first problem, the customer wanted it in 'OO'. So after rolling all the etched layers, to make a sound boiler, I then had to carve out false recesses, to accommodate the 'OO' wheelsets. The SE Finecast kit was much easier.

The really tricky part of the W 2-6-4T kit, were the steps (with foot sockets, to stop 4mm toes being chopped off), which sat either side, over the valve gear. There was just enough room in 'OO', I wouldn't fancy doing the same in EM or P4? Another trait common to both original Jidenco kits, were the instructions, which started off well detailed, then became briefer and briefer as the build progressed. They finished with the immortal lines "assemble brake gear." (full stop), and "assemble valve gear." (full stop) 

I got the impression, the person test-building/proof building the first kits, had given up halfway through. I managed to avoid other Jidenco kits, and their re-packaged successors, although I was very tempted by their Class 50 diesel kit, before Lima came to the rescue, in those dark old days.

Cheers, Brian.

Good evening Brian,

Though I haven't built a Jidenco W 2-6-4T, I have built the South Eastern Finecast version.......

W23.jpg.b7b3868222598584086cc169110cd733.jpg

W24.jpg.e3d0b4b474ff9a245d0459afd9184359.jpg

W25.jpg.60448dfe6489515e1aa5bcc61d0ece19.jpg

I'd be interested to know if anyone has built one of these in EM or P4.

Clearances behind those steps is very tight.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

Although not quite rtr, It was one I built as a teenager nearly 50 years ago. and it has been in the bits box for longer than I can remember. I needed a  running van for a crane, I had just built and remembered the broken old Ratio. It was in even more bits now with one of the sides shattered into way too many pieces to glue back together. Foot boards unusable but the GWR removed them anyway. I was going to buy a unbuilt kit but having more time my hand, I would see what could be done. Prototype images showed many of the panels plated over so I was able to  replace sections with plasticard. Original Ratio wheels used, the only plastic wheeled vehicle on the layout, but they ran quite well in the Peco cup bearings (remember them). Hand brake and underframe details from scrap/spares box. It is a short train and the heavy SEF/Wills Pannier has no problem pulling it. It looks really tatty as per the images used to make it though I have been told it is not tatty enough. It looks the part in the signalling department train with crane and brake van.

Mike Wiltshire

Tool_Van_lr.1.jpg.ee6b640c206d56b18f6ff4c64eb0b2f4.jpgTool_Van_lr.2.jpg.89f61d5bead825b701db34774cc866d7.jpg

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

This has been the resident gravity yard shunter on Cwmafon for many years and even survived a dive to the floor once.

Must be a Cwmafon thing. I thought 1664 was the only one to do that and survive...

With regard to Jidenco/Falcon Brass I've built the Lanky Steam Railmotor which eventually turned out very well running on a Black Beetle bogie in the coach end. Can't show it as I'm away at present but it been seen on here before. About one third ended up being scratchbuilt including the cab rear, cab interior, coach interior, underframe, outside frame of coach bogie, half the valvegear and the mechanically operated push pull gear on the roof. I've also built the 5T and 6T GN fish vans and have 2 of the GC 6 wheel brakes to build one day.

Andrew

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Tony and everyone

I have Bachmann's V2 No.60860 Durham School in lined black livery with early emblem.

Could anyone tell me if she ran as this during mid-1959? This is the time-frame in which I run my layout when it is in 'Hitchin mode'.

Many thanks

Brian

Good morning Brian,

I'm afraid I might have mislead you with my earlier response to your question above. 

Because I've recently had new V2s finished, I still had my reference sources to hand, including An Illustrated Appreciation: 2 Gresley V2's, by D. R. Dunn, Book Law, 2021. In the caption regarding 60860 on page 37 it's stated that 'Other than the addition of ATC in the late 1950s, and green livery in 1956, the locomotive...............'. I should have been suspicious of this because the earliest other reference I can find for V2s being painted into BR green is 1957. Indeed, on page 89 of Gresley's V2s, by Peter Tuffrey, Great Northern, 2019, there's a picture of 60860, clearly in BR black claiming to have been taken in June 1958. The Metro-Cam DMU in early-style livery behind at Newcastle Central suggests this is correct. 

So, which to believe? Both books are excellent reference material in terms of the photographs, but both contain quite a few errors in the captions (locations/dates/directions/etc.). 

The RCTS doesn't list painting dates (as it does with the LNER Pacifics), and neither does Yeadon (though guesses might be made by cross-referencing shopping dates). 

The above illustrates the difficulties in getting models accurate. None of my books is totally accurate (certainly none I've ever written!), so a bit of the old 'Sherlock Holmes' is needed at times.

As for 60860 at Hitchin in BR black in 1959? It's possible.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Further to the livery of DURHAM SCHOOL.............

On page 35 of The Power of the V2s, by Gavin Morrison, OPC, 2001 there's a shot of 60860 at Ferryhill (Co. Durham), taken on the 16th of April 1960. Because the loco is very dirty, it's difficult to make out the livery, though it looks like the later emblem is on the tender (if one has the 'eye of faith'), which means BR green. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I have actually built the Jidenco W, in 3mm scale but I can't find any photos of it. I have built two 7mm ones and the steps over the motion are a real pain, this is the most recent one.11-25fl.JPG.aa925d1ecf2bfdaf55dab9b4b5b7b45d.JPG

The steps on this are more or less where they should be, more importantly the cylinder centres/slidebars are correct and there is enough clearance. EM or P4 would be more of a challenge but most of this was etched and could be scaled down.....

I have one of the 4mm W kits in my stash, and have got as far as acquiring a SEF N Class whitemetal boiler for it. 

I take it out occasionally, look at it, read the instructions (such as they are) and then..... put it back in the drawer!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Further to the livery of DURHAM SCHOOL.............

On page 35 of The Power of the V2s, by Gavin Morrison, OPC, 2001 there's a shot of 60860 at Ferryhill (Co. Durham), taken on the 16th of April 1960. Because the loco is very dirty, it's difficult to make out the livery, though it looks like the later emblem is on the tender (if one has the 'eye of faith'), which means BR green. 

Many thanks for your concern and continued interest, Tony - much appreciated!

I had done a small amount of net research on 60860 as I only have one specifically V2 book in my library.

Funnily enough, I'm pretty certain it was that very photo you mention above that set me thinking about what livery she ran with in mid-1959!

For the time being, she will run in black.🙂

Thanks again!

Brian

8 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I have actually built the Jidenco W, in 3mm scale but I can't find any photos of it. I have built two 7mm ones and the steps over the motion are a real pain, this is the most recent one.11-25fl.JPG.aa925d1ecf2bfdaf55dab9b4b5b7b45d.JPG

The steps on this are more or less where they should be, 

Very nice, and you've managed to make those valve gear steps, into real foot pockets, whereas I cheated and just added a flush backing plate.    BK

• Like 1

22 hours ago, uax6 said:

On Jidenco Kits: My HR 4-4-0T with a Crewe front end build has run into an issue which is really bugging me. The front bogie as the kit is designed has very little movement for swing. I've tried making it pivot further back, but this hasn't worked, so I tried making it a 2-6-0, which is a bit better, but the second axle keeps de-railing. 

Its relegated the build to the naughty step, until I can face faffing with it again. I hate getting chassis running with tight spaces!

Andy G

Fortunately Frank Bulkan has successfully built at least 2 Jidenco kits for me, which run well at least on 3' curves & mainly large radius Peco bullhead rail points. He both built & painted the HR Jones 4-4-0T & built the MR 0-4-4WT, which Warren Haywood painted. It is supposed to be in 1892 transition livery as shown on 787 in the MR loco series of books.

The Jones tank runs well without derailing after we tried both trying a 2-6-0 configuration & varying the way the bogie swings as described previously on this thread. I can't remember which was finally used as I am away from home for a few weeks so can't access the loco.

William

HR Jones 4-4-0T model front 3:4 view.JPG

MR 0-4-4WT 1892 livery.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

9 hours ago, MikeCW said:

Your Coal Engine is a very fine model Jol. Is it photographed running on "Clarendon"?  If so this might be the very  same engine I photographed at Expo EM in Partington while visiting the UK in September 2017.

P1010505.JPG.994712c54fa36eee60160660e1a20808.JPG

Your reference to the George Norton tender on your model triggered some memories. My second white-metal locomotive kit was the GEM 18 inch Goods Engine or"Cauliflower", bought via mail order from W&H Models of 14 New Cavendish Street in the mid 1970s. That was nearly 50 years ago and I was then a slim chap in my late 20s.  The kit had a white-metal chassis and was powered by a Triang XT-60 motor.  I got it to work after a fashion but, by the late 1980s, had decided it needed a major rebuild. 

8592 would probably have been classed as an "accounting rebuild" by Crewe Works as about all that remains of the GEM kit is 90% of the locomotive body.

P1040530.JPG.2132ea1e907c3899af8c9d595addeedb.JPG

This venerable model now has an etched, compensated chassis, Sharman Wheels, Mashima motor and 2-stage Branchlines gearbox. I have cut away the top of the original round-topped firebox and built a Belpaire version in brass. Ross "pop" safety valves, Cooke buffers, and smokebox door levers all bring 8592 into LMS condition. This is a far from perfect model. For one thing the distinctive spring hangers should be visible behind the splashers.  But it runs satisfactorily, is unique and, for good and ill, is my own work.

I binned the original cast tender and, like you Jol, replaced it with a George Norton etched version - my first ever etched kit.  The reason was that I had become dissatisfied with the solid cast "rails" on the GEM tender and, after filing these off, found I was unable to solder up a neat replacement set from brass wire. The tender is now a far more sophisticated model than the engine which, like most GEM kits, is a "rivet free zone".  But the dimensions and "character" of the original GEM locomotive body work well enough for me. I must fit a vacuum pipe and hose to the rear of the tender.

P1040529(2).JPG.52171e9386d664c28e601543361ae28b.JPG

I hope Mr Wright notices that 8592 has a crew and carries a lamp on its front buffer beam (although the front coupling seems to have fallen off).

Mike

Mike, my Coal Engine was photographed on London Road by Barry Norman. It was one of those taken for a MRJ article on London Road, but didn't make the cut.

CoalEngineonLondonRoad.jpg.c0240af613a22152b36f7d26f8fd2da0.jpg

Barry's photos, together with those taken by Tony at the York MRS in 2018, are the best photos of the layout and stock that I have.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

When I made my little list of old/difficult-to-build kits, I forgot to mention Cornard/McGowan.

I built several some years ago (including two B17s, which appeared in the press, though a GC Atlantic defeated me - cast metal frames and motion!). 

I still have two McGowan locos I've built running on LB................

McGowanB12306.jpg.950f3ce954047273e071e4e67b284320.jpg

Made not long ago, this B12/3 was given a run-out on the main line immediately after being completed. 14 bogies proved to be no impediment!

McGowanB12310.jpg.da50d4140cb5e26c9fbf2472a14d123e.jpg

Before settling down to its duties on the MR/M&GNR bit. 

McGowanD9.jpg.38f199cdc498164b1b3c08d000e50144.jpg

Sandra Orpen kindly gave me this McGowan D9 kit, which I built for the LNER '38 weekend on Little Bytham five years ago. Geoff Haynes painted it, but the letters on the tender were too small.

D9604001.jpg.06c047828f684cce81eec0800d1efcbf.jpg

I've since rectified this. 

Yes, old kits like this have 'issues', but if one wants the likes of a D9 and is not prepared to scratch-build? 

Some years ago now.............

D9.jpg.7d656d732d2e2dbfeaf733223c6a0e9a.jpg

Someone else brought a D9 to run on LB. Unfortunately, I can't recall who brought it, nor its origins. 

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

5 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

If I may add to the list of modellers who have built some Jidenco kits, a few LNER Fish vans.

The builds followed the same principle’s as Jonathan’s, scratch build everything below the solebars and you’re good to go. The wagon kits are fine once you over come that hurdle. 

I have not built a Jidenco loco kit yet though…

AD131A4E-A6B3-460A-8ABF-EF001655B212.jpeg

940D99C8-597B-4A81-8CE7-D549F3B9F03A.jpeg

Great work!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1