Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Well, today's operation on Little Bytham went very well (despite my usual cock-ups!).

Thanks to Geoff West, Tom Foster and Ben Valentine for driving the trainset so well and for some really stimulating (if politically-incorrect) conversation.

The railway, as usual, performed faultlessly, apart from (yet another!) SEEP point solenoid failure. As I've mentioned, I bought over 100 of these in 2008, and Rob Davey and I fitted almost 100 of them in Bytham's fiddle yards. So far, some 15 have failed in the intervening years. In my view, that's far too high a percentage, and I regret not spending the extra money to obtain Peco solenoids; those installed on Stoke and Charwelton (over 175) operated at near 100 shows, with just one failure.

Anyway, some interesting items were brought along..........

Including........

BenValentinenarrowgaugewagons01.jpg.a6c3b8b6da8b108cbafadbc8af7a4d8e.jpg

BenValentinenarrowgaugewagons02.jpg.4bc36827c287732c9f3be36324b8b83c.jpg

These interesting narrow gauge wagons by Ben.

BenValentineSimplex.jpg.81ab9e9deeb3eaa2c2d50675e3eb14c7.jpg

And this little Simplex, bought off Ebay. 

Tom sold two locos to Geoff...........

TomFoster57XX.jpg.f2278bf793ecaa5833ad9a8b3521d2cc.jpg

This modified/detailed/weathered Bachmann 57XX.

TomFoster16XX.jpg.9113e768f4f1cdf466474c8fa815df27.jpg

And this Nu-Cast & Partners 16XX, which I'd built/painted for Tom some years ago.

My task is to remove the decoders from this pair. Some jobs are most-enjoyable! 

Tom tells me he'll post some images on here of the day's running.

Thanks again, chaps. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

A repeat plea, please........

Will all those who send me PMs, please, please include their full name. 

It might well be (definitely in many cases) that we've corresponded before, but my memory is not what it was.

So far (after just a day!) I've sold multiple items to over 20 people (many thanks, by the way) and it even taxes Mo's outstanding book-keeping skills to make sure everything is correct.

Items will posted next week.

Thanks in anticipation.............

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 minutes ago, dibateg said:

Beautiful coaches Iain...

I did get the concrete signals installed, they are a bit droopy as I've not connected the servoes yet. I've not seen many modelled in 7mm scale, but they do add that 'LNER' heritage atmosphere.

IMG_9147.JPG.ecee26daaf6028b10f9a411ab146a1dd.JPG

What terrific atmosphere!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 9

Thanks again to all who've bought the kits (loads have already sold).

A couple more reminders, if I may? Please, please may I have your full name and, more important, your address? It's more than probable that I've sent stuff before, but I know so many folk who have the same Christian names.  

Mo and I are sorting out all the orders and packaging them up ready for delivery tomorrow or Tuesday, and we'd like to get the sales so far despatched (by guaranteed/insured delivery).

Many thanks to those who've already paid (in some cases, more than was asked).

Finally, I think I've managed to follow the chronology - PMs/phone calls/emails/personal requests/etc, but if anyone is interested in an item, but procrastinates, my apologies for any disappointment.

Thanks again. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Iain.d said:

Roxey-LSWR3Coach(Non-CorridorSet)-(35)BrakeS3059S.jpg.00e53611878fafc3a153fbf9a713c572.jpg

They’re finished in BR crimson as Set 122, one of the last to be withdrawn in late 1957.  I have no real reason to model these carriages; my one day layout will be based on the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway at Midsomer Norton, and I have no evidence of these non-corridor vehicles ever running on the line, certainly not during the period that interests me.  If I’m honest, the blame lies with @Tony Teague who has an exquisite Cross Country set in Southern green (see page 39 of his layout thread); once I’d seen his, I decided I wanted a set of my own!

Given how magnificent these coaches look, I have no difficulty whatever in taking the blame!

Thanks for showing us the result.

Tony

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Can I ask the great and the good on here a few questions, please? 

After much deliberating I have settled on a layout based on the Swansea end of the central Wales line should I ever find the time to build one. 

I have been picking up various kits both unbuilt and built but needing work, the first loco I want to sort out is a k's lnwr coal tank. 

It has an old white metal chassis with what I assume are k's wheels and motor, because I am thinking about building to em gauge, my thoughts are to replace the whole chassis for a London Road models chassis with markits wheels and new motor and gearbox. 

Has anyone used this body and chassis combination?

If so what problems should I look out for? 

Also, looking in the markits catalogue I cannot understand what diameter the axles are, 3mm or 1/8". Do they make both, is one size best to buy because the market is set up for it? 

Very confusing. 

Edited by rka
Additional question.
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Tom F said:

Yesterday, Ben and I travelled down to see Tony and Mo (Ben kindly drove the 150 miles after staying at mine on Friday night). What a wonderful day we had, which I think the smiles show clear evidence of. Great to catch up with Geoff too!

image.png.a52d5e7bc88603c3336876f6fe98e80b.png

image.png.e39d5552b3963f3f315fd32933cdbb87.png

image.png.09e69b81288c6e489654a83c5fd53e7b.png

I made the comment to Tony yesterday, that this year forms a decade of my visits to Little Bytham, and seeing this wonderful layout expand and grow over the past 10 years. Th hospitality and generosity from the Wrights is unmatched! It is fair to say you been possibly one of the biggest influences on my modelling and photography over that time. Thank you my friend.

Speaking of my modelling, when we returned home, Ben helped by adding the black lining material around my layout, before an operating session until midnight.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

image.png.0d67a14881232dea5b75d688689c6a54.png

Thanks Tom,

Great pictures of a great day! The facial expressions say it all - even mine! 

Without so many good friends visiting, Little Bytham would not be what it is today.

Your own layout is looking really good.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
blooper
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rka said:

After much deliberating I have settled on a layout based on the Swansea end of the central Wales line should I ever find the time to build one. 

I have been picking up various kits both unbuilt and built but needing work, the first loco I want to sort out is a k's lnwr coal tank. 

It has an old white metal chassis with what I assume are k's wheels and motor, because I am thinking about building to em gauge, my thoughts are to replace the whole chassis for a London Road models chassis with markits wheels and new motor and gearbox. 

Has anyone used this body and chassis combination?

If so what problems should I look out for? 

The LRM chassis was designed for a kit with an etched running plate, so while providing a more modern etched chassis, one issue you may have is that the loco body will sit a bit too high, owing to a thicker white metal running plate. The same probably applies to any white metal kit used with a chassis from etched an etched kit. You may also have to remove a bit of metal from the running plate and front splasher to get clearance for EM wheels

This shows a LRM Coal Tank chassis, in this case built with Sharman P4 wheels and a Mashima 1224 motor mounted between the frames with a LRM 38:1 motor mount and gears. A Mashima 1024 would be better, which you might be able to get from Branchlines.

CTframes2.JPG.c06eb1dceec7be88f2e275dffe076f90.JPG

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

The LRM chassis was designed for a kit with an etched running plate, so while providing a more modern etched chassis, one issue you may have is that the loco body will sit a bit too high, owing to a thicker white metal running plate. The same probably applies to any white metal kit used with a chassis from etched an etched kit. You may also have to remove a bit of metal from the running plate and front splasher to get clearance for EM wheels

This shows a LRM Coal Tank chassis, in this case built with Sharman P4 wheels and a Mashima 1224 motor mounted between the frames with a LRM 38:1 motor mount and gears. A Mashima 1024 would be better, which you might be able to get from Branchlines.

Hi Jol,

do you know what controls the height of the frame spacers?  Taking material off the top of the frames wouldn’t be particularly difficult unless that then destroys any positioning  slots for the spacers.

Frank

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Thank you, I suppose I could file an amount from the underside of the running plate. 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, rka said:

You may already be aware of it, but there's a rather nice layout plan for Swansea Victoria in one of Iain Rice's books.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Barry Ten said:

You may already be aware of it, but there's a rather nice layout plan for Swansea Victoria in one of Iain Rice's books.

1 minute ago, Barry Ten said:

Thank you, I have ordered one this weekend as it happens. 

• Friendly/supportive 1