Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

One thing which rarely happens in the sequence (though it's written in to it) is any shunting. I think we all find that rather boring. 

Oh, Sir - wash your mouth out !!!

IMG_20230828_153251_MP(2).jpg.200a79e1ad81af40b0917f80caabe100.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Barclay said:

Lovely scene above!

I really wish, sometimes, that I had the space for a large roundy-roundy, but it never happened and never will now. Instead, much shorter layouts, built for shunting are what I build. I will admit to liking shunting, with a well-mannered loco and wagons with impeccable manners. Steel end links and magnetic shunting poles have transformed this activity, by the way.

Having said that, it's still lovely watching continuous run layouts at shows etc.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, NZRedBaron said:

Here's a thought exercise if anyone's interested; is it better to start a layout with a trackplan and build from there, or start with the history and backstory for the layout, and try and adjust a trackplan to fit?

As someone who only has space for small layouts, I don't model actual prototypes, but use prototype influence on my imaginary scenes.

As such, the track plan is wholly dependent on the amount of space I can devote to any given layout project.

Once I've arrived at a track plan that I'm happy with, I'll then invent a back story to suit (bearing in mind that the most effective 'lies' are those with a hint of truth about them...)

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

55 minutes ago, Barclay said:

Good morning Stuart,

Since, as a trainspotter, watching shunting operations never really appealed, this has become the case with operating my railway. 

Big engines, travelling fast, always appealed (and still does) much, much more.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

One thing which rarely happens in the sequence (though it's written in to it) is any shunting. I think we all find that rather boring. 

Can’t wait to do the shutting in both directions next Easter (2025).

There's no doubt Little Bytham is a roundy-roundy trainset. If I'm on my own when I run the railway (occasionally, but never the sequence), I'll often set an express off at high speed and just duck and weave around the circuit, watching it from every angle. It's rather good fun!  

I’m glad I’m not the only one that does this, no wonder my back feels 50. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

At exhibitions, the late David Jenkinson used to run trains round Garsdale Road twice, so that anyone who spotted something interesting the first time could have a closer look on the second circuit.

I run my express’ around twice but the slower trains just the once. I stole mimicked this from Grantham. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Barclay said:

maybe its the lack of more thrilling forms of shunting, such as kicking, loose shunting, fly shunting, "Dutch dropping", hump shunting, and many other dangerous tricks which speed things up and make up some of the best entertainment I've had, especially with the most free rolling stock!

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The chassis building video is how I built my first successful Comet chassis, when I tackle a full kit I will certainly be coming back to this series, they are excellent.

Martyn

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1