Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Alan,

Very effective weathering. Thanks for showing us.

In between taking pictures, I've completed more of the point rodding on LB.

897618640_pointrodding37.jpg.0db5eb43333d1e48222dd0e304ea1dcc.jpg

It stretches into the distance. With its presence on both sides in places, there's over 30' of it! 

664430743_pointrodding38.jpg.7455a71e43feef7bb87c91dd210da2b4.jpg

There are a few inevitable wiggles, but I think the effect 'works'. 

Now that the signals have been 'fixed', it's time to disguise their bases.

165082221_pointrodding39.jpg.713c533ae460e24879f4db883c9ccc57.jpg

Behind the camera, there's still some four feet to complete. Whew!!!! 

I've now run out of stools and rodding, so an order to MSE/Wizard/Comet will be made. 

It's one of those jobs which has to be done. Its presence is essential for realism, but what a bore/chore. Not because of any problems with the products - they're excellent. It's just tedious. I very much doubt that without 'lock-down' I'd have got this much done. 

Speaking of 'lock-down', I've just seen that selfish people have been disregarding the advice of staying at home and not gathering in groups. When I did the DVD with Hattons about the firm's O Gauge A3s last year, what I said about those who trespass on railways to get a shot of FLYING SCOTSMAN had to be cut. 'Politically-incorrect and pejorative' I was told. I used words like imbecile, moron, idiot and retard. Would it be incorrect to use such adjectives to describe those who flout the current rules? Those who put lives at risk through their 'me first' attitude. (Perhaps the moderators will make a judgement). 

On a personal level, it could be that we're banned from going on local walks; which Mo and I enjoy, but keeping our distance from others we meet. 

Regards,

Tony. 

As someone dealing with the Covid outcome ..... thanks Tony.  And I appreciate WW, a daily fix of model trains.  I have a day off tomorrow, a chance to do some modelling - I'm building a Layout in the Time of Plague (with apologies to Alexander Pushkin).  Bill

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Speaking of 'lock-down', I've just seen that selfish people have been disregarding the advice of staying at home and not gathering in groups. When I did the DVD with Hattons about the firm's O Gauge A3s last year, what I said about those who trespass on railways to get a shot of FLYING SCOTSMAN had to be cut. 'Politically-incorrect and pejorative' I was told. I used words like imbecile, moron, idiot and retard. Would it be incorrect to use such adjectives to describe those who flout the current rules? Those who put lives at risk through their 'me first' attitude. (Perhaps the moderators will make a judgement). 

On a personal level, it could be that we're banned from going on local walks; which Mo and I enjoy, but keeping our distance from others we meet. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I can see nothing at all wrong with your choice of words Tony. It beggars belief that they cannot do as they are told in order to potentially save their own life and those of others. Mind numbing arrogant stupidity at it's worst.

• Like 2
  • Agree 11

Tony and All,

You are so right regarding selfish people, they’re putting themselves and consequently everyone else at risk and jeopardising the little bit of freedom people have .This situation brings the best out of people and the worst. I’m very lucky to have a big garden to relax in. (Not much use at the moment though). I really feel for people who live in ‘tower blocks’ and don’t have a garden.its these people who will be hit hardest if restrictions are increased.

Anyway, I’ve managed to get a bit of spraying done outside earlier this morning. Nothing to show yet but I’ll  post later  but don’t hold your collective breathe they are only Parkside hoppers that have been on my workbench for far too long.

Tony and everybody ,

keep safe and ‘model for England’,’ your country needs you’ to do this and stay in,

Robert

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MarkC said:

Seriously, though, that looks as though she's run into something pretty solid - buffer stops, perhaps?

Not buffer stops unless they were backed by something solid.  It is quite easy to move them by hitting them with a train; i know, I've done it (driver's fault, not mine).  They are not attached to the adjoining rail to minimise damage if they are hit hard.  An 04's work would not often bring it into contact with the sort of hydraulic buffers at big passenger termini.  This one's probably rear ended another train, the last vehicle of which has ridden up over it's buffers in the collision and then crashed back down, causing the damage seen.  The guard had hopefully seen it coming and abandoned ship!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

There are undoubtedly a small minority of selfish b......s out there. However, I think that a lot of what has been reported today is more a case of an over Zealous application of the rules. People who live in flats in inner cities need somewhere to take their exercise and visiting an inner city park does not seem unreasonable to me. Obviously they shouldn’t linger too long and need to keep 2 metres apart. But if they pass at 1.5m for a brief moment I can’t believe that the risk goes up dramatically. Shutting the parks just makes the problem worse as people concentrate on the few green spaces left open. Ideally the busy parks should be managed like supermarkets with a one in one out type system and checks that people don’t stay too long. But I realise that may soak up lots of police time which they don’t have.

I’m lucky enough to have a garden and live next to the North Downs with plenty of green space, but I really feel for those who are cooped up in a flat. A little bit more tolerance and common sense in application of the rules would be very welcome. I fear that some in authority are relishing the chance to turn the country into a police state.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

897618640_pointrodding37.jpg.0db5eb43333d1e48222dd0e304ea1dcc.jpg

165082221_pointrodding39.jpg.713c533ae460e24879f4db883c9ccc57.jpg

Lovely shots though i imagine you're getting pretty fed up of point rodding - hopefully not to the point of wishing you'd modelled a stretch of plain line in open country!

Some interesting wagons there - a particularly ancient ex-SER covered goods wagon (type built 1863-1880) and an ex-GWR Q1 provender wagon - of which there were just the 12 built, though you wouldn't think so, thanks to Coopercraft! It's looking well on its 50 years.

• Thanks 1

Speaking of bent 'beams. A selection...........................

I don't know why the various O4s managed to get drooping front buffer beams (did it afflict the O1s?). 

63593.jpg.591efe985671eb6f94251297a1e6e88b.jpg

2118498160_63608Retford.jpg.c401c40ee901f2dbcf9e418b52e712d4.jpg

63782.jpg.377276335955b8097458daedaa06556b.jpg

2103263828_63824Retford.jpg.abca36b28934a055e0f841522c10de6f.jpg

1527918796_O463655bentfrontend.jpg.a6eeb9d2ff9adbc5feb66af66d107596.jpg

Some worse than others. In fairness, I've found plenty with no bends.

Like this......

1838651328_63726Retford.jpg.1ede2e031d8a553c9607b02061222360.jpg

Straight enough, but one for the loco-pickers. Not only are the first three digits on the cabside smaller than standard for ex-LNER locos, but the next two are even smaller!

And, don't forget, bent beams were not solely found on ex-GC 2-8-0s!

271555666_60067DoncasterWorks.jpg.ac4089182eff82bdd86c2d84b5bb480c.jpg

January, 1963, Donny Plant. I wonder how this happened?

Please observe copyright restrictions. 

• Like 16

19 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

There are undoubtedly a small minority of selfish b......s out there. However, I think that a lot of what has been reported today is more a case of an over Zealous application of the rules. People who live in flats in inner cities need somewhere to take their exercise and visiting an inner city park does not seem unreasonable to me. Obviously they shouldn’t linger too long and need to keep 2 metres apart. But if they pass at 1.5m for a brief moment I can’t believe that the risk goes up dramatically. Shutting the parks just makes the problem worse as people concentrate on the few green spaces left open. Ideally the busy parks should be managed like supermarkets with a one in one out type system and checks that people don’t stay too long. But I realise that may soak up lots of police time which they don’t have.

I’m lucky enough to have a garden and live next to the North Downs with plenty of green space, but I really feel for those who are cooped up in a flat. A little bit more tolerance and common sense in application of the rules would be very welcome. I fear that some in authority are relishing the chance to turn the country into a police state.

A balanced view, Andy, thanks.

However, I wonder if all those who gathered in groups live in flats. 

Granted, we only see what's reported in the news, but one fitness-type admitted that what he was doing (bouncing about in a park) was selfish.

I know it was me who started this, but can we concentrate on model railways henceforth, please? I know what I've been doing over the last couple of weeks keeps me safe, sound and (I hope) sane! 

To everyone, many thanks for the expressions of thanks for what I've been showing. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Lovely shots though i imagine you're getting pretty fed up of point rodding - hopefully not to the point of wishing you'd modelled a stretch of plain line in open country!

Some interesting wagons there - a particularly ancient ex-SER covered goods wagon (type built 1863-1880) and an ex-GWR Q1 provender wagon - of which there were just the 12 built, though you wouldn't think so, thanks to Coopercraft! It's looking well on its 50 years.

Thanks Stephen,

It was a bit boring, though absolutely necessary. I made the runs up in 1' sections in the main, which means 14x10 soldered joints for each length at their maximum! 

The ex-SECR covered goods wagon is an ancient, white metal K's kit, now in (highly-unlikely) ECML engineers' trains. 

Is the ex-GWR Q1 wagon the nearest one in the last picture? I made it up at a show last year (bought second-hand of the club's stall on the Friday evening), not really knowing what it was (my knowledge of goods wagons is dismal!) Would it be highly-unlikely to find it shoved at the end of a siding at Little Bytham in 1958?

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

The ex-SECR covered goods wagon is an ancient, white metal K's kit, now in (highly-unlikely) ECML engineers' trains. 

Some did survive in Southern engineer's use into the 1930s. I thought it must be the K's kit - Danny Pinnock did one too but I think a slightly later version with just two end pillars. 

34 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Is the ex-GWR Q1 wagon the nearest one in the last picture? 

Would it be highly-unlikely to find it shoved at the end of a siding at Little Bytham in 1958?

Yes, and yes. I think they would always have been non-pool. Built 1903 (or thereabouts).

Edited by Compound2632
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Not buffer stops unless they were backed by something solid.  It is quite easy to move them by hitting them with a train; i know, I've done it (driver's fault, not mine).  They are not attached to the adjoining rail to minimise damage if they are hit hard.  An 04's work would not often bring it into contact with the sort of hydraulic buffers at big passenger termini.  This one's probably rear ended another train, the last vehicle of which has ridden up over it's buffers in the collision and then crashed back down, causing the damage seen.  The guard had hopefully seen it coming and abandoned ship!

I was actually thinking more of a stop at the end of a siding, tbh - I know that Midland ones were pretty substantial - but your suggestion makes sense. As long as no-one was hurt...

Mark

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It was a bit boring, though absolutely necessary. I made the runs up in 1' sections in the main, which means 14x10 soldered joints for each length at their maximum! 

Sounds to me like a job for those who find ballasting too exciting! It looks great and I’m full of admiration but I doubt I’ll have the patience to follow suit - I’ve only done half the ballasting so far!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I wouldn't like to try that with white metal which tends to break but a brass kit could be modified without any problem.

Jamie

I have an unmade Ks O4 which I might try this on. Shouldn't be too difficult with care. A brass footplate wouldn't be any easier as the valences have to be bent as well and depending on the angle are likely to kink out sideways.

• RMweb Premium

Well, if we are playing with odd O4s here is a very rough version of the type that the Caledonian hired in. Only rtr I have, bashed into shape from one of the versions that were being sold for £50 a while back. If I ever get time and funds I'll put a proper EM chassis under it. Bit out of period for me, so a bit of rule 1 as well. 

590688771_CRROD2807copy.jpg.91d3a7f441a142fec36fdb08baecb3b7.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Speaking of bent 'beams. A selection...........................

I don't know why the various O4s managed to get drooping front buffer beams (did it afflict the O1s?).

Due to the lack of structural integrity in terms of the combination of the frame material and the geometry of the front sections of the frames I presume. 

The frames must have been very shallow at this point to clear the pony wheel but the important fact is that the buffer centres appear to be below or at least very close to the lower edge of the frame in these locos and thus the forces acting through the buffers are  not acting directly "through" the frames but applying a bending moment in such cases.  With repeated loading the frames and/or the beams themselves will bend if the design of the structure does not adequately take into account those bending loads. 

As the O4s seemed to be particularly prone to this one can only conclude that the mechanical design of this aspect in these locomotives  was, how shall we put this, sub-optimal.      Perhaps a somewhat contentious statement depending on one's allegiance but the evidence is clear to see!   On the other hand, If the design had been adequately strong the frames/beams would not have bent when service loads were applied.

Alan

RMWeb Diagram.JPG

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

I have an unmade Ks O4 which I might try this on. Shouldn't be too difficult with care. A brass footplate wouldn't be any easier as the valences have to be bent as well and depending on the angle are likely to kink out sideways.

Good luck with that it should be possible but it might need a bit of lightcannealing first with however much heat you can apply without melting the solder. It's a daft thought but dropping it onto a hard floor at the right angle might give you a start. 

Jamie

• Funny 2

5 hours ago, DougN said:

Just like to thank every one who "ticked" one of the boxes at the bottom of the posting. I know that is a strange comment but it is appreciated that people enjoyed this. I find the Covid issues restricting on a weekend (Ok the rest of my family are at home due to school holidays ) but the ticks are a kind of community appreciation of quite a solo effort! It also proves that the world is still turning. 

I agree, working solo as we are at the moment it is the only feedback a lot of our projects at the moment get. Constructive criticism also welcome so we can continue to improve. 
Richard 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

9 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Sounds to me like a job for those who find ballasting too exciting! It looks great and I’m full of admiration but I doubt I’ll have the patience to follow suit - I’ve only done half the ballasting so far!

Thanks Andy,

Apart from the odd inevitable (though not too noticeable) wiggle, I'm pleased with it. There's still four feet to make (maximum number of rods), but from the 'normal' (inside) viewing position, the Down slow platform hides its appearance (or, at the moment, non-appearance). 

Point rodding is one of those details I now consider essential (more zeal!). Until I started making it for LB, I was unaware of its not being there (if that's not too-mangled English). However, once I'd started, its omission was obvious, especially on checking against prototype pictures.

At least two profession railwaymen (other than yourself) have seen it (part-completed) and complimented me on how 'realistic' it looks (really more a comment on the quality of the MSE components). I've fitted the etched cranks as I thought they'd be arranged, and also the compensators. The greatest help (given the lack of close-up pictures of Bytham's actual installations) is the little booklet Point Rodding, Prototype & Planning Notes for Modellers produced by the 2mm Scale Association, and member Laurie Adams. I cannot recommend this invaluable work highly enough. There's one of the pictures on the front cover with rodding in the snow. I'm pleased to say Bytham's looks like it! 

Once I've ordered what's needed from Andrew at MSE/Wizard/Comet, I'll finish the lot off.

If I might offer one last piece of advice, please? Though I consider point rodding's installation essential (on any layout which has pointwork 'worked' from a 'box or ground frame), I do understand the tedium (and trickiness) of making it, not to mention the costs. If those reasons for not doing it are sufficient (though tenuous in my opinion), then don't! Once you start, such is the 'realism' imparted, you'll have to complete it.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Some did survive in Southern engineer's use into the 1930s. I thought it must be the K's kit - Danny Pinnock did one too but I think a slightly later version with just two end pillars. 

Yes, and yes. I think they would always have been non-pool. Built 1903 (or thereabouts).

Two wagons to be sold on behalf of CRUK then; when (if?) we ever get back to 'normal'.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Two wagons to be sold on behalf of CRUK then; when (if?) we ever get back to 'normal'.

Regards,

Tony. 

Please PM me with an indication of the going rate for the SER van including postage.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Tony Wright said:

One thing I should have mentioned when describing the M&GNR scenes posted yesterday were the carriage destination boards. 

These are available (as are those for the main line trains) from Ian Wilson's Pacific range of pre-printed products. 

...and very good they are too. I've used them on the Cornishman and the Royal Duchy (not the Riviera though, because the Kernow limited edition of Mk 1s a few years ago included enough coach boards for the full six coaches)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Andy,

Apart from the odd inevitable (though not too noticeable) wiggle, I'm pleased with it. There's still four feet to make (maximum number of rods), but from the 'normal' (inside) viewing position, the Down slow platform hides its appearance (or, at the moment, non-appearance). 

Point rodding is one of those details I now consider essential (more zeal!). Until I started making it for LB, I was unaware of its not being there (if that's not too-mangled English). However, once I'd started, its omission was obvious, especially on checking against prototype pictures.

At least two profession railwaymen (other than yourself) have seen it (part-completed) and complimented me on how 'realistic' it looks (really more a comment on the quality of the MSE components). I've fitted the etched cranks as I thought they'd be arranged, and also the compensators. The greatest help (given the lack of close-up pictures of Bytham's actual installations) is the little booklet Point Rodding, Prototype & Planning Notes for Modellers produced by the 2mm Scale Association, and member Laurie Adams. I cannot recommend this invaluable work highly enough. There's one of the pictures on the front cover with rodding in the snow. I'm pleased to say Bytham's looks like it! 

Once I've ordered what's needed from Andrew at MSE/Wizard/Comet, I'll finish the lot off.

If I might offer one last piece of advice, please? Though I consider point rodding's installation essential (on any layout which has pointwork 'worked' from a 'box or ground frame), I do understand the tedium (and trickiness) of making it, not to mention the costs. If those reasons for not doing it are sufficient (though tenuous in my opinion), then don't! Once you start, such is the 'realism' imparted, you'll have to complete it.

Regards,

Tony. 

You are right about the point rodding. It is one of those jobs that I have always put off. There is a great deal of sense in preparing for it at an early stage, creating gaps under tracks and adding bases for the stools. The only layout I was involved with that did get rodding was Thompson's End. Malcolm set the rodding out on a large drawing, worked out all the push and pull movements to make the equal and fitted it all with the cranks and compensators.  That was much smaller than LB but still took ages.

George Norton made the signal wire posts. Not really known for his prowess at scenic work, he made each pulley from three tiny discs, put a retaining strap over each one and put the right number of pulleys on each post. Sadly, he made the posts from strips of ply sleeper material and every time we cleaned the track, one or more got broken off.

When it was all completed, it was a lot of work but worth it for the difference.

My present project is at that early stage and due to my association with Laurie Adams and having seen what you have done on LB, I feel almost obliged  to have it all done properly on this one!

• Like 5