NSB El14

31A Driver

Hi all.

I have been on the lookout for a model of a Norwegian El14 locomotive for some time. The options were a handbuilt NMJ Superline model (£1000) or try to find a second hand Lima model. The Lima version is quite sought after, and can commonly command prices around the £100 pound mark. A few weeks ago I managed to obtain one on a Norwegian action site for £55.

post-7758-0-63306400-1353003850_thumb.jpg

A start has been made on stripping the loco. All the glazing and lights have been removed.

post-7758-0-64838200-1353003890_thumb.jpg

Bodyshell seperated from chassis. The previous owner had decided to glue the buffers into their shanks which caused a problem as they hold the body to the chassis. The solution was to slip a scalpel between the body and the chassis and carefully cut off the extending plastic so the body could be lifted off.

post-7758-0-27664200-1353003905_thumb.jpg

Interestingly, the weight seems to have suffered the same problem as some Heljan '47s and Hornby '31s.

post-7758-0-64816200-1353003918_thumb.jpg

Body with a coat of primer. The cab handrails and body side ladder will be the same colour as the bodysides, so I didn't think it necessary to upgrade them with seperate items as they are also quite nicely moulded. Time will tell. For some reason, a can of grey primer was nearly twice the price of the beige in which it has been treated.

Railway modelling is not easy in Norway. You can't just go into a shop and buy the colours off the shelf. To get the colours for the eventual livery for the El14, I had to obtain the RAL paint codes. Luckily, Revell makes an exact match, unluckily, Revell paint is next to impossible to buy in Norway, so i had to import it from the UK. Similarly, transfers are only supplied by 1 or 2 companies, and detailing parts are just about non-existant.

Hopefully, if the parts for my airbrush arrive tomorrow, I plan to give the bodyshell its first livery colour.

Andy

Hi, I was considering replacing the drive but was having trouble finding bogies with 20mm wheel spacing. There is a replacement drive system available here in Norway for just over £100, but as the loco will only be operating non stop freight services on the layout, I will see how it performs before making the decision.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I'd second your optinion on rechassising with Athearn, I've got a DSB Mz IV body from Tikob that I'm working on in fits & starts. I was going to use an Athearn SD40-2 chassis, but altering it was such a job that I've built a brass "ladder" chassis and fitted Athearn trucks to that instead, and they have common truck centres and wheelbases.

If the running bugs you how about a remotor? http://www.modeltorque.com.au/Lima.htm UK supplier http://www.intercity...odeltorque.html

I'll be watching this with interest, one last question, whose decals are you planning to use?

Nick

Hi Nick, I have a model torque motor that I can rob out of a Lima 156 Sprinter. I would prefer to do the chassis swop, but here in Norway its not easy to get hold of US models to measure their trucks. (I need 20 + 20mm).

The model will be re-wheeled with a set of spare ultrascales that I have lying around, and will be DCCed with appropriate lighting.

The transfers are from 'Electrade' a Norwegian company based in Sandefjord (www.electrade.no) and cost 99 NOK (just over £10) for one locomotive.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, after managing to borrow a compressor from work, I have managed to finally get some colour on the model.

post-7758-0-88066400-1355774978_thumb.jpg

Not a very inspiring livery so far I know. Hopefully, I can get the second coat of yellow on the bufferbeams before work tomorrow, and gloss varnishing when I get home. Hopefully Wednesday should see the application of some decals.

I am back in the UK next week, so I can raid my bits box for some replacement wheels, LEDs and resistors and a suitable decoder.

Andy

• 1 month later...

Hi all, after some delays and a disaster with the first application of decals, the locomotive is nearing completion.

The bodyshell now has all decals applied, the detail painting completed and just needs a top coat of varnish and buffer beam details. (Apologies for poor pictures)

post-7758-0-35904200-1358619133_thumb.jpg

post-7758-0-38907700-1358619156_thumb.jpg

Next will be the fitting of lights and re-assembly.

The chassis has been re-wheeled and fitted with a Lenz silver decoder, and runs surprisingly sweetly.

Andy

Hi all, just about finished with the El14 for the moment.

post-7758-0-91201700-1359312520_thumb.jpg

post-7758-0-66803200-1359312557_thumb.jpg

post-7758-0-74280500-1359312626_thumb.jpg

post-7758-0-16183600-1359312654_thumb.jpg

Outstanding jobs are to fit a dummy screw coupling, replace the windscreen and add wipers, and refit the insulators on the roof (when I can remember where I put them!)

I'm not 100% pleased with it, but it is only my first attempt at a total respray of a locomotive.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I'm very impressed with the repaint! I would have thought with a light blast of matt or satin varnish, to tone down the shine in the pictures, and possibly some light weathering around the underframe etc., it will look perfect!

I have a KATO N scale 66 and set of decals from Swed-N waiting for a repaint into CargoNet colours. Which is the Revell colour which is an exact match for the CargoNet grey colour? 

Justin

Thanks Justin, it has been, at various times throught the repaint, treated with gloss, matt and satin varnish. It currently has a satin coat, although the shine looks worse in the pictures than on the model.

The Revell code for Cargonet Grey is No 78.

Andy

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived