Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Kestrel - which end is #1?

• RMweb Gold

As a Diesel numpty (even though I grew up around banger blue 20s, 37s, 47s and peaks) I don't know which way round my Heljan Kestrel should be when moving "forward", so

which is number one end, the one with the roof fans close together or the other?

As a Diesel numpty (even though I grew up around banger blue 20s, 37s, 47s and peaks) I don't know which way round my Heljan Kestrel should be when moving "forward", so

which is number one end, the one with the roof fans close together or the other?

Number 1 end is the radiator end of the locomotive, so the one where the roof fans are.

Sorry, yes I didn't make myself very clear. On Kestrel No.1 end is the larger area where the long twin roof shutters and wider spaced twin roof fans are.

I'm glad someone asked this question. I was wondering myself....

So out of interest, if the Rad fans and shutters were at No 1 end, what were the ones at the other end for???

I bag to differ in opinion here, and think cab end 1 is where the closer space roof fans are.

The closer spaced roof fans are where the cooler group is, the wider space roof fans are where dynamic braking cooling and control equipment is.

See Kestrel article and drawing

Regards, Michel

I'm glad someone asked this question. I was wondering myself....

So out of interest, if the Rad fans and shutters were at No 1 end, what were the ones at the other end for???

The larger No.1 end radiator is for the main engine water jacket cooling whilst the smaller No.2 end contained fans for the heat dissipation from the charge-air heat-exchanger and lubricating oil cooler.

Yes, nice photos and thanks for answering my question......

It's interesting that the roof panel/grill at No2 end that got changed during the life of the loco, is different again on the drawing....

I wonder, is there a photo anywhere showing the early roof panel, with the loco on the modified 47 bogies....

Yes, nice photos and thanks for answering my question......

It's interesting that the roof panel/grill at No2 end that got changed during the life of the loco, is different again on the drawing....

I wonder, is there a photo anywhere showing the early roof panel, with the loco on the modified 47 bogies....

See link below:

Kes-pic-1

It seems by the official handover date that the grill had been modified to as Heljan has it modelled.

See pic on this page:

Kes-pic-2

The Grill was the intake for the engine room pressurising fan. The theory being, (I think) that the engine room pressure would be held at slightly above atmospheric pressure with clean filtered air. This should keep the engine room cleaner and cooler. The main benefit would have meant cooler air being drawn into the engine hence more power.

Seems like the Brush/Sulzer engineers must have been playing about with the system throughout the loco's time on BR as that??™s at least 3 variations to that particular intake.

Cheers,

Porcy

Hi mods. I wonder if it may me a good time to merge threads.

See.

My link

See link below:

Kes-pic-1

It seems by the official handover date that the grill had been modified to as Heljan has it modelled.

See pic on this page:

Kes-pic-2

The Grill was the intake for the engine room pressurising fan. The theory being, (I think) that the engine room pressure would be held at slightly above atmospheric pressure with clean filtered air. This should keep the engine room cleaner and cooler. The main benefit would have meant cooler air being drawn into the engine hence more power.

Seems like the Brush/Sulzer engineers must have been playing about with the system throughout the loco's time on BR as that??™s at least 3 variations to that particular intake.

Cheers,

Porcy

Hi mods. I wonder if it may me a good time to merge threads.

See.

My link

Thanks for that Porcey.. I'd been through that website but hadn't picked up on that first pic as showing yet another variation.

I think the colour photo at the top of your second link shows the final style grill / roof on the 47 bogies.. So still looking for a clear photo of the Heljan style roof panel with the 47 type bogies....

There's a pic in Toms OPC Brush history of Kestrel actually being lowered onto the new bogies and the roof panel in question is absent... Beginning to think that's when the "final style" mesh grill was fitted..

So still looking for a clear photo of the Heljan style roof panel with the 47 type bogies....

As posted in the other thread...

Big Kestrel Pic

Porcy

Edited for thick headedness. Misread your post. Disregard above tosh. I don't think you'll find a pic of the Heljan type grill on Type 47 bogies. I've a feeling the grills will have been modified before this and not have reverted back....

I don't think you'll find a pic of the Heljan type grill on Type 47 bogies. I've a feeling the grills will have been modified before this and not have reverted back....

I suspect you're right Porcy, but with such an experimental loco you never know... Looking at the options then, it's a bit of a mod on the roof, or replace the bogies....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm still trying to find out which end is 1 on Kestrel.

In the UK it's indeed normally the fan end ( thus not conclusive to Kestrel ) however, the Class 59's and 66's have the exhaust end cab 1 and the fan end cab 2 !!!!

Regards, Michel

That's the GM/EMD convention for the 59's & 66's ie the opposite to the normal UK/BR one.

FYI Deltics No1 end has some vertical pipes by the left buffer

Archived