2mm wheels - pre quartered - back to back

damienjohnson

Here is the latest inspiration from TwommLocomotives.

Locomotive wheels for both 2mm and n gauge, the wheels are made up of FUD acrylic polymer inserts within a stainless steel tyre and mounted on a stainless steel shaft which has square ends.

Currently available for my range of kits, but developments in progress for extra wheel sets.post-13321-0-03457900-1353795665_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I have some wheels in stock for a couple of projects but these do look very interesting. As someone who is familar with using Slaters wheels in 7mm these would be very good for 2mm. One question though what about fixing the crankpins in?

I have some wheels in stock for a couple of projects but these do look very interesting. As someone who is familar with using Slaters wheels in 7mm these would be very good for 2mm. One question though what about fixing the crankpins in?

Hi, the crank pins I use are glued in position. I use 16 ba screws and nuts so I can then remove them.

Hello Damian,

these look very interesting indeed. I assume that the wheels are 3d printed and that the rims are glued in place. may I ask what the diameter of the axles is, and is there any possiblilty that these could provide a new "ballantine drop in option" for the older farish chassis?

Many thanks

Guy

Hello Damian,

these look very interesting indeed. I assume that the wheels are 3d printed and that the rims are glued in place. may I ask what the diameter of the axles is, and is there any possiblilty that these could provide a new "ballantine drop in option" for the older farish chassis?

Many thanks

Guy

Guy,

yes the wheels are 3d printed, after this weekend in warley there has been some tremendous feedback and interest in what im doing. the axels are 1.5mm, and after having many discussions i will be looking at the possibility of Farish drop in replacements.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to be sceptical here also but I share David's concerns and also would need some reassurance of long term stability of the material.

Right now, the moulding/printing process is still a little ragged.

Mark

(somewhat of an analogue person when it comes to modelling...!)

Sorry to be sceptical here also but I share David's concerns and also would need some reassurance of long term stability of the material.

Right now, the moulding/printing process is still a little ragged.

Mark

(somewhat of an analogue person when it comes to modelling...!)

Damien,

Please forgive me if I seem sceptical in asking this, but can you really ensure accuracy and true running using this method, and in quantity?

Regards,

David

Gents,

I share your thoughts on this process and at the moment these are the only guarentees i can offer. The shafts and tyres are made accurately to ISO9001 standards and every single one is checked for accuracy. The wheel centers i check myself and i have found that the thickness does not vary more than 0.01mm. The square axel i have found to be a very good fit in the square hole on every wheel i have put together so far. The true running of the wheel so far has been very good. The printing process for Frosted Ultra Detail is accurate to 0.1mm which i have not seen a problem yet, and things are always improving!

The only thing we do not know is how well the acrylic polymer material will last? but what i can say is that for the price its very quick and simple to change the center should the need arrise. The strength of the wheel is uniform within the tyre so loading should not be a problem in 2mm/n-gauge.

I will be conducting a number of test on these wheels, one of which will be to run the loco for a length of time and see if anything changes?

I hope this reasures some of the questions, but i do understand the need for concern and as its very early days only time will tell.

Gents,

I share your thoughts on this process and at the moment these are the only guarentees i can offer. The shafts and tyres are made accurately to ISO9001 standards and every single one is checked for accuracy. The wheel centers i check myself and i have found that the thickness does not vary more than 0.01mm. The square axel i have found to be a very good fit in the square hole on every wheel i have put together so far. The true running of the wheel so far has been very good. The printing process for Frosted Ultra Detail is accurate to 0.1mm which i have not seen a problem yet, and things are always improving!

The only thing we do not know is how well the acrylic polymer material will last? but what i can say is that for the price its very quick and simple to change the center should the need arrise. The strength of the wheel is uniform within the tyre so loading should not be a problem in 2mm/n-gauge.

I will be conducting a number of test on these wheels, one of which will be to run the loco for a length of time and see if anything changes?

I hope this reasures some of the questions, but i do understand the need for concern and as its very early days only time will tell.

What's the price likely to be?

Given that at first sight these wheels are not compatible with 'standard' 2mm split frame construction, I would imagine they will first find usage as replacements for RTR locos.

Knowing the travails we had getting large diamater wheels to run true in our last attempt at producing such replacement wheels, I'd like to see one in a Farish Jubilee or similar and how it performs.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Given that at first sight these wheels are not compatible with 'standard' 2mm split frame construction, I would imagine they will first find usage as replacements for RTR locos.

Knowing the travails we had getting large diamater wheels to run true in our last attempt at producing such replacement wheels, I'd like to see one in a Farish Jubilee or similar and how it performs.

Chris

I would broadly agree with Chris and the others on this. The wheels the Association currently supplies are a superb product, strong, true, easy to use and compatible with split frame construction which remains the preferred choice. That said, these new wheels would be perfect as a drop in replacement for converting RTR and also for N gauge modellers.

I had a brief chat with Damian at Warley, (struggled to get away from the layout) and the MR kits looked very promising. If I were to build one I would prefer to use normal Association wheels. Damian, will the kits accept standard Association bearings and if so, are you happy to supply the kits without wheels etc?

Jerry

Guest Natalie Graham

I see they are available in N gauge too, so I can say one thing for sure: They are better than any other N gauge steam loco wheels on the market for a good many years.

I would broadly agree with Chris and the others on this. The wheels the Association currently supplies are a superb product, strong, true, easy to use and compatible with split frame construction which remains the preferred choice. That said, these new wheels would be perfect as a drop in replacement for converting RTR and also for N gauge modellers.

I had a brief chat with Damian at Warley, (struggled to get away from the layout) and the MR kits looked very promising. If I were to build one I would prefer to use normal Association wheels. Damian, will the kits accept standard Association bearings and if so, are you happy to supply the kits without wheels etc?

Jerry

I see they are available in N gauge too, so I can say one thing for sure: They are better than any other N gauge steam loco wheels on the market for a good many years.

Chris

Hi all,

Currently i will be charging £11 per pair of wheels, this may sound steep but i hope to reduce this on future production runs (the main cost is the solid axel at nearly £4). The wheels are only suitable for wiper/pickup systems and not split frame which goes against all the current principles of the 2mm association.

I have manufactured the wheels in N-Gauge also with the correct back to back axel, i tried a set on some peco code 55 rail and all ran very smoothly, i also tried on a number of track items that Mark Henshaw produced and all seemed ok (in the 1:148 scale track).

The possibility of making these as RTR replacement on farish/bachman kits is a strong possibility, and i do agree with Natalie they look far better than current n gauge wheels.

Jerry, I am more than happy to supply my kits without wheels, as i have designed them with association bearings (which i hope to supply my own, same size of course) and the kit chassis i have are very easy to make split frame.

thanks to you all and keep the ideas/advice coming

I have manufactured the wheels in N-Gauge also with the correct back to back axel, i tried a set on some peco code 55 rail and all ran very smoothly, i also tried on a number of track items that Mark Henshaw produced and all seemed ok (in the 1:148 scale track).

Hi Damien,

What N gauge wheel profile are you using? and what is the BtoB?

I may look at if people could build the etched replacement chassis I do for the 2mmSA to N gauge standards using these wheels. Sounds bizarre, but some of the early Dapol steamers run so badly there might be people out there who want to rechassis them.

Chris

Hi Damien,

What N gauge wheel profile are you using? and what is the BtoB?

I may look at if people could build the etched replacement chassis I do for the 2mmSA to N gauge standards using these wheels. Sounds bizarre, but some of the early Dapol steamers run so badly there might be people out there who want to rechassis them.

Chris

Chris,

I have used a NMRA standard with a BtoB of 7.5mm, the flange thickness on the wheel is 0.5mm and the overall thickness of the wheel is 1.8mm.

What i do with my chassis is set them at 6mm width (frame to frame) this provides enough clearance for both 2mm and n-gauge, spacers can then be used if required to reduce axel slide from side to side.

Archived