7mm Late LNER/early BR(E) open wagon kit sources

The Nth Degree

Well, I may be slightly relieved about that. Had Powsides had any in stock at Reading I would have bought a rake of 3 of them! I had the cash in hand at the counter but he didn't have any. He did offer me a deal if I were to order them there and then but I said I'd rather see them.

I've built a few plastic kits but I just don't like the feel of them. It's an odd feeling that I can't describe. I've sold all my made plastic kits (only five of them) and I'm now concentrating on brass and WM. I do still have a couple Slaters BR brake vans that I may still build, but my inner self says sell them and replace them with Connoisseur or M&M brass equivalents.

I bought a couple ABS LMS opens to try out so I'll see how they go and maybe get more. The chap on the ABS stand was lovely and had all the time in the world for me. I like that. I feel like buying more just for the customer service dedication and effort.

I still need that 3-tank rake of LNER milks so I guess it could be back to plastic for those. What was the problem with the Powsides tanks - could you be more descriptive?

Cheers

Steve

That "chap" was almost certainly Adrian Swain (ABS).

I'm sorry you have a problem with plastic. It is more suitable for representing steel wagons than whitemetal - Parkside, Peco and Slaters all make nice thin kits.

On the other hand etching is often far too thin in 7mm - planks are usually 2 3/4in., corner posts etc are substantial bits of kit on the real thing, and need multiple layers to get right - this is very noticeable on many open wagon kits. Both plastic and whitemetal usually make a far better fist of representing the real thing.

Yes, shame about POW tank wagons, they have cornered a very useful market in unusual wagons - that acid tank is lovely, and they do a lot of anchor mounted tanks of the type built in considerable numbers from the 1940s until 1960ish - but everyone says leave well alone, barrels usually need to be round in profile!

Paul Bartlett

That "chap" was almost certainly Adrian Swain (ABS).

Paul Bartlett

Yes, I'm pretty sure he said his name was Adrian. Very knowledgeable.

Thank Paul, I feel the same about plank thicknesses with brass open wagons - I don't have any so I don't know how this problem is overcome. I read one kit instructions that say thicken the sides with plasticard or similar. This is why I'm trying out WM opens but, perhaps, this seems to be a little over-thick. I may have to compromise my self-inflicted ideology on the opens.

I'm concentrating on vans at the moment so I'll bridge that when I come to it.

Love your site, by the way. I'm always on it trying to find relevant prototypes.

Admittedly GW in origin, but WEP get around the plank thickness issue by etching small rectangles which fold over to make a double thickness spacer. The etched inside and outside faces of the planks then sandwich the spacers, three to a side and two to an end. The outer face has a foldover to represent the top edge of the plank and iron cap.

gwr_5plk_03.jpg

Admittedly GW in origin, but WEP get around the plank thickness issue by etching small rectangles which fold over to make a double thickness spacer. The etched inside and outside faces of the planks then sandwich the spacers, three to a side and two to an end. The outer face has a foldover to represent the top edge of the plank and iron cap.

gwr_5plk_03.jpg

I have not built any kits from WEP but that seems a neat solution. Nicely detailed inside as well.

Alan.

I have not built any kits from WEP but that seems a neat solution. Nicely detailed inside as well.

Alan.

I have built a couple of WEP kits - a Fruit D and a Fruit C - which were very nice kits to build. Quite a bit of work but I think that's down to the details on the prototypes. The etched brass parts fitted very accurately and the kits had some well thought out touches that made building a pleasure. On the Fruit D the ends and the first section of the sides were a fold up giving very neat corners. On the Fruit C the corner plates were part of the sides and after folding overlapped the ends - again made the corners very neat and accurate. The white-metal doors on my Fruit C were a bit distorted with damaged detail but were replaced without quibble when I complained.

I've not built a WEP open but if the vans are typical of the standard of this range I'd recommend you try one.

Chaz

I have built a couple of WEP kits - a Fruit D and a Fruit C - which were very nice kits to build. Quite a bit of work but I think that's down to the details on the prototypes. The etched brass parts fitted very accurately and the kits had some well thought out touches that made building a pleasure. On the Fruit D the ends and the first section of the sides were a fold up giving very neat corners. On the Fruit C the corner plates were part of the sides and after folding overlapped the ends - again made the corners very neat and accurate. The white-metal doors on my Fruit C were a bit distorted with damaged detail but were replaced without quibble when I complained.

I've not built a WEP open but if the vans are typical of the standard of this range I'd recommend you try one.

Chaz

Hi Chaz,

Sorry to hijack your topic Steve, but what livery did you finish your fruit D in? I have just finished a WEP fruit D and I have gone for the earlier version with the gas lighting but still running in the 50's in a neglected state.

When I spoke to Mr Waterman at Reading he reckons that some were painted in Bauxite which is a colour I would rather do than carmine or maroon, mind you it will also be covered in a lot of weathered grot as well.

ATB,

Martyn.

Hi Chaz,

Sorry to hijack your topic Steve, but what livery did you finish your fruit D in? I have just finished a WEP fruit D and I have gone for the earlier version with the gas lighting but still running in the 50's in a neglected state.

When I spoke to Mr Waterman at Reading he reckons that some were painted in Bauxite which is a colour I would rather do than carmine or maroon, mind you it will also be covered in a lot of weathered grot as well.

ATB,

Martyn.

I painted it BR crimson but weathered it.

FruitD.jpg

The Fruit Ds must have been very useful vans. I believe some of them survived long enough to run in BR blue - and they probably were painted in Bauxite. Still I think mine looks good in red!

Chaz

I painted it BR crimson but weathered it.

Still I think mine looks good in red!

Chaz

Hi Chaz,

You have made a nice job of the fruit D, the six steps are a bit of a pain and I ended up leaving them to last !! The one I have just finished is still bare brass at the moment but if I can prove that there was some in bauxite it would be rude not to :no: .

Below is one of my van BY's in crimson,

post-7101-0-30372800-1354925787.jpg

ATB,

Martyn.

P.S. End of hijack, sorry Steve.

Yes, the BY and Fruit D are nice. May I ask what paint are you using for Crimson? The Phoenix I bought as BR crimson is maroon!

Paul Bartlett

Hi Paul,

Regarding the BY it was sprayed using good old Halfords "Vauxhall carmine red" , being the knowledgeable chap you are would you know if any of the fruit D's were in Bauxite ?

Regards,

Martyn. P.S. Wait until you want a maroon, after 3 or 4 different supposedly maroons I settled for JLTRT in the end.

Hi Paul,

Regarding the BY it was sprayed using good old Halfords "Vauxhall carmine red" , being the knowledgeable chap you are would you know if any of the fruit D's were in Bauxite ?

Regards,

Martyn. P.S. Wait until you want a maroon, after 3 or 4 different supposedly maroons I settled for JLTRT in the end.

Thanks for the advice on crimson, too late this time;

I'm too young to be able to answer these colour questions, you tell me what you think these were !http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/fruitd/ec481245 http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/fruitd/e1af423b2

And what colour did this one start out in before it faded? http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/fruitd/e56b7ef4 Could even have been gulf red!

I doubt that any were painted as freight stock, BR does seem to have utilised them as NPCCS until the end - as the many blue ones in my collections indicates.

Paul Bartlett

Archived