The Last Years of British Steam

Neil

• RMweb Premium

There seems to be a good deal of interest in the dying days of British main line steam, the much anticipated re-release of Each a Glimpse being the latest proof if any were needed. I'm slowly putting together a collection of books that feature British Rail steam in the sixties concentrating on the art rather than pictorial style. I've written about my obsession in past entries to my blog but last week another book came my way that's worth a mention.

post-6793-0-41374500-1354362942_thumb.jpg

The Last Years of British Steam is a compilation album that covers the country north to south, east to west. It features the work of a variety of photographers, some well known, others less so but it's a mark of the artistic quality that the contributions of the likes of Ivo Peters and W J V Anderson aren't the strongest images.

Though at first glance it's the sort of book that crops up in second hand bookshops and preservation support sales and easily passed by, I'd strongly advocate taking a good look through its pages for treasure lurks within.

post-6793-0-91128000-1354363840.jpg

My copy came from Nicks Railway Stuff

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Neil, following your recommendation I went onto Amazon and bought a copy of The Last Days, First Series and Second Series.

The second book is larger than the first, but both contain hundreds of excellent black and white photos brought together by Ian Allan publishers.

A wonderful way to pass a few hours and a surprisingly good resource for the steam modeller.

Thanks for bringing this to my notice!

Jeff

Archived