Using a SPROG and JMRI to reallocate sounds or lghts on a Zimo chip. Advice/help please!

Poindexter

Hi

I have bought a SPROG to run with JMRI so I can explore DCC chip functions in a way that I couldn't with my basic DCC controller. I have also bought a couple of Zimo sound decodes after reading about them and seeing an excellent demo and a having few chats with Paul Chetter.

I have fitted a MX644D to a Bachmann class 20. I have also fitted lights to it.

I now need to reallocate either the sound functions further up the function key list or the lighting functions.

As it stands the sounds are used by F keys 1-14. F1 being the sound start/stop.

I have put the lights on

FO1 front and back white lights controlled by F0 (directional)

FO2 Cab interior light controlled by F1. Yep it goes on and off with the sound!

FO3 Front red lights controlled by F2. Flashes on once with short horn.

FO4 Back red lights Controlled by F3. Comes on with duo horn.

As you can see, not ideal!

I have played with Nigel Cliffes excellent jython script that has allowed me to move sounds around the F1-12 range. But I can't move them above that.

I can also start and stop the sounds with a different F key (F15for example) thanks to JMRI. But that leaves me with the other light/sound conflicts.

So is there a solution to my problem using my present set up. Or am I going to have to delete some sounds and move others about in the F1-12 range to make room for dedicated light keys?

Thanks in advance

Guy

post-6690-0-50264700-1354661024_thumb.jpg

Hi

I have bought a SPROG to run with JMRI so I can explore DCC chip functions in a way that I couldn't with my basic DCC controller. I have also bought a couple of Zimo sound decodes after reading about them and seeing an excellent demo and a having few chats with Paul Chetter.

I have fitted a MX644D to a Bachmann class 20. I have also fitted lights to it.

I now need to reallocate either the sound functions further up the function key list or the lighting functions.

As it stands the sounds are used by F keys 1-14. F1 being the sound start/stop.

I have put the lights on

FO1 front and back white lights controlled by F0 (directional)

FO2 Cab interior light controlled by F1. Yep it goes on and off with the sound!

FO3 Front red lights controlled by F2. Flashes on once with short horn.

FO4 Back red lights Controlled by F3. Comes on with duo horn.

As you can see, not ideal!

I have played with Nigel Cliffes excellent jython script that has allowed me to move sounds around the F1-12 range. But I can't move them above that.

I can also start and stop the sounds with a different F key (F15for example) thanks to JMRI. But that leaves me with the other light/sound conflicts.

So is there a solution to my problem using my present set up. Or am I going to have to delete some sounds and move others about in the F1-12 range to make room for dedicated light keys?

Thanks in advance

Guy

post-6690-0-50264700-1354661024_thumb.jpg

Guy,

You should be able to reallocate the sounds up to F19 with JMRI and Nigel's script. There is no restriction due to the decoder.

Actual functions, lights etc, were limited to the range F1-F12.

However, the latest software, V32, allows to be remapped by a special ZIMO feature to higher numbers up to F19, read about it here: http://www.zimo.at/web2010/newsitems/archive_EN.htm

It works by allocating different lighting paterns (direction dependant) to function keys F0 (normal key) and to others in the range F15 to F19.

You will not need the full range of sophistication available, but will allow prototypical lighting for all countries including UK.

You will need to get the new software loaded to your decoder for it to work. The software upload will not affect the sounds already loaded, as it is distinct from the sound project.

Failing all the above, you can use the 'CV300' pseudo programming to remap any individual sound to a different F key up to F19. This is what Nigel's script does in the background, but you can do it following the decoder manual and using any DCC controller.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul

First off thanks for all your help and explanations you have provided earlier both in person at Hartlepool and via PM.

But my Hornby Elite only goes up to CV255 so I couldnt program CV300 'pseudo programming' manually like you gave instructions for.

So I bought a SPROG to allow me to program and learn about CV's in the comfort of my living room rather than the cold cold loft.

Upon playing with Nigels script it appears that it will only allocate upto F12, unless I'm doing something wrong??

I cannot find anyone local to update the firmware on the chip to allow Swiss programming and before I sent it away to someone to update I wanted to explore all the other possibilites first, so I could better understand the SPROG and Zimo chips with all their functions.

I am also wondering if you can use a JMRI throttle to program the Zimo Manually and allocate those elusive F13 to F19 keys to a sound function???

N.B. If push come to shove I could probably borrow NCE powercab and learn to program via that. But I'd like to get along with my SPROG first.

Any further input greatly received.

Guy

The JMRI script currently only covers up to F12, though it looks to be a fairly simple edit (two adjacent lines) to make it go to F19. I'll have to try it to see if a change is that simple.

There are new decoder files for Version 32 firmware, covering the new lighting features and a number of new sound controls. They are in the 3.1.6 test release, which should be on the JMRI servers by now.

Yes, you can use the Sprog Throttle to run the CV300 pseudo-programming manually. To do this, change the preferences for the Sprog into "command station" mode so it will do ops-mode programming. Turn on track power, call up the loco required on the throttle, check it runs, stop the loco. Call up the "single CV programmer" window and issue the Ops-Mode CV300 number required. The loco will then go into pseudo-programming mode, and the throttle keys will select sounds (as per Zimo manual). You might find this is made simpler in JMRI if you were to set the "labels" on the throttle for this loco to match the names used in the Zimo manual. - That's essentially how I wrote and tested the script !

- Nigel

Hi Paul

First off thanks for all your help and explanations you have provided earlier both in person at Hartlepool and via PM.

But my Hornby Elite only goes up to CV255 so I couldnt program CV300 'pseudo programming' manually like you gave instructions for.

So I bought a SPROG to allow me to program and learn about CV's in the comfort of my living room rather than the cold cold loft.

Upon playing with Nigels script it appears that it will only allocate upto F12, unless I'm doing something wrong??

I cannot find anyone local to update the firmware on the chip to allow Swiss programming and before I sent it away to someone to update I wanted to explore all the other possibilites first, so I could better understand the SPROG and Zimo chips with all their functions.

I am also wondering if you can use a JMRI throttle to program the Zimo Manually and allocate those elusive F13 to F19 keys to a sound function???

N.B. If push come to shove I could probably borrow NCE powercab and learn to program via that. But I'd like to get along with my SPROG first.

Any further input greatly received.

Guy

Guy,

Nigel's additions have probably solved your needs, but you can do the pseudo programming from your Elite. ZIMO decoders (and likely other types too) will respond to instructions for CVs above 255. By starting with CV7 = 110 you will increase the apparent CV number by 100. So, to get CV300, first set CV7 = 110 then CV200 = X (where X is the F key you wish to change). The rest of the CV 300 procedure is as described.

Granted, there is another CV to use, but it will give you access to higher CVs. With ZIMO having quite a few active CVs in the 256 - 399 range, it's important to know this for other things. I have nothing against either the Sprog or JMRI per se, but they are both unnecessary for any of this, or indeed any other action you might need to make to programme ZIMO decoders.

Now that you have them, however, you will probably find them more convenient to use. As long as you are computer connected when you wish to change something this way.

I would recommend anyone committed to a move to ZIMO sound decoders, to consider getting one of the ZIMO programming interfaces. You could then have updated your decoders with new software as and when needed (like now) even if you do not intend to load your own sounds. The Sprog will not do this for ZIMO or any other sound decoder. The development route for the MXULF already allows software updating, sound upload to decoders and manual control of a loco as well as future connectivity to JMRI and computer controlled/smartphone operation of your layout. It's essentially a combined computer interface/sound decoder programmer/mini command station (2A) which does not yet have all functions activated.

Perhaps Santa will find one for you? Ha Ha.

Good luck,

Paul

Guy, try the file in the ZIP attachment, its a small update to the script.

- Nigel

Nigel

Thank you very much for your rapid response to my JMRI query. I will try this out either later tonight or tomorrow. I went the SPROG route after reading your posts/articles a few years ago about CV reading and writing comparing the Elite and the SPROG and how packets can get lost with slow/unreliable transmission times etc on the Elite. I must say that the SPROG is lightning fast and the fact you can store decoder info in a file is great. Hopefully your zipped update will make it the ideal tool for me.

Guy,

......will respond to instructions for CVs above 255. By starting with CV7 = 110 you will increase the apparent CV number by 100. So, to get CV300, first set CV7 = 110 then CV200 = X (where X is the F key you wish to change). The rest of the CV 300 procedure is as described.

The development route for the MXULF already allows software updating, sound upload to decoders and manual control of a loco as well as future connectivity to JMRI and computer controlled/smartphone operation of your layout. It's essentially a combined computer interface/sound decoder programmer/mini command station (2A) which does not yet have all functions activated.

Paul

Hi Paul

I tried the CV7 =110 route with the Elite after reading the manual..... well after reading the bits you recommended, its a big book!!

But for some reason the Elite would not talk to the decoder using this method. Hence I went the SPROG route.

I do like the sound of the MXULF. But I use other decoders as well and I'm not sure I could justify the expense. Both the Elite and the SPROG allow me to use Panel pro to drive locos either via computer or a smart phone. The only thing I'm missing out on is the decoder updates, so I will have to continue my search in the North East or post them to someone if an urgent update is needed.

Next up is two of your Multi-drives, a 47 and a 37 me thinks!

Thanks once again for all your help Nigel and Paul and I'll report back with my findings and probably a video.

Guy

Guy,

I'm happy you have found a solution that fits your needs.

I cannot comment as to why CV7 =110 does not work on your Elite as I have no direct experience. It is the way that the decoder reacts to the commands which changes, nothing to do with the DCC controller, really. I know it results in a lot of button pushing, are you certain you followed the procedure correctly? Now that you have your Sprog, this is all a bit academic now anyway.

I can confirm it works on an old ZIMO MX2 cab, on Lenz with older firmware, and with Rocomaus, all of which have restricted range CV programming.

When you get your ZIMO 37 and 47 decoders, make sure the vendor loads the latest software, currently V32.0 because it gives end users the option to adjust how the (diesel) sound files react with throttle movement. This can be added retrospectively to any ZIMO sound decoder upgraded to the latest sofware. A great way to 'refresh' old projects.

Kind regards,

Paul

Guy, try the file in the ZIP attachment, its a small update to the script. I've checked it on a simulator, and it looks to be sending the correct commands for F13-F19. But I don't have a real DCC system and locos to hand.

- Nigel

Script works a treat :danced:

Thanks Nigel

Guy

Archived