NSR coaches from Hornby :-)

My new project is to try to create three , four wheeled NSR coaches , from the old Hornby four wheelers . Evidently not going to be exact copies but good enough for me to run as the real mcCoy . Anyway here are the first few pics , two 1/3rd class coaches and a 1/3 brake with duckets . I have added new vents different for each type and new roof detail for each type , using the Old Knotty books as reference . Also added extra steps to the chassis per pictures .post-1016-0-04405300-1355100851_thumb.jpgpost-1016-0-90844300-1355100942_thumb.jpgpost-1016-0-24302200-1355100987_thumb.jpg

There was an old thread a few years ago (it seems like that anyway) about what to do with these coaches. I posted some pics of what I had done, which was (briefly):

If you can get them, use the underframe off the track cleaning version. These have better detail around the springs and correct buffer height.

Take a craft knife and slice off the top 1mm or so above the windows - there is a ridge to guide the kinfe to make several passes to eventually cut through.

Reprofile the roof to a shallower radius. I used a 'Smash' (instant mashed pototo) tin (don't laugh) for the radius (the tin is about 5 inches or 127mm diameter but unfortunately the stuff comes in a cardboard carton nowadays). Any tin of similar diameter will do.

Use the same tin to form a new roof from plastic card. Tape the plastic card to the outside of the tin and immerse it in boiling water (it must be boiling) few a few seconds and then cool it.

Add roof and end detail to taste.

IMO the lower, shallower roof profile gives a much better 'olde worlde' effect.

Have fun.

Archived