Exchange Sidings/Goods Yard Layout in OO

Matchless

Being a fairly newcomer to model railways I've been playing around with 'Rail Modeller 4' on my iMac and come up with a possible layout for an exchange sidings/goods yard. Being restricted to 6'x2' the program says this should fit however, the buildings have been added in Photoshop and are not exactly to scale, these are a goods shed, weigh bridge, coal depot office and signal box.

ExchangeSidingsLayoutSmall-1.jpg

The top line off the exchange sidings could go to a factory/quarry/canal wharf etc. The two bottom lines would go 'off stage' and connect to a main line at staggered junctions.

The grey area is the goods yard with a road 'In' below the weigh bridge and a road 'Out' to the factory/quarry....etc. My initial thought is that the exchange sidings are too short and could be extended a bit but I welcome any comments and suggestions. (now sitting behind a sandbag wall with tin hat on...)

• RMweb Gold

Did I say something wrong... ? :scratchhead:

Well no but you might've been better off posting in the Layout and Track Design forum.... this one's for layouts already in progress really.

But anyway.... you'd struggle to get much longer sidings in the space available, looks like a neat little plan. I assume you'll be having off-scene staging?

Vehicles tend to spend a considerable time when 'in' a goods shed. You have created a traffic constriction exactly where you don't want it.

Please explain, as I mentioned the subject is new to me and looking for advice. I'm still getting to know the 'Terms' involved.

Archived