Some thoughts required on some HO traction please

Cornish Triang Paul

Thanks in advance. Would like some reviews please upon the following :

Hobbytrade NSB DI4

Roco NSB EL16

Mehano Vossloh G2000

Sac. Wag. Voith Maxima

Vossloh G1700  Piko or Mehano

Not fussed on detail but preformance, weight and durability ARE important as wil be run both in and outdoors.

Anything will help.

• RMweb Premium

The Maxima I would describe as having been designed to be as close a match in technical layout to its prototype as reasonably possible – with multi-segmented drive shafts from the motor to all wheelsets and functioning suspension and traction bars. There also are numerous detailing bits to be added to the model, which includes brake callipers and train protection transceivers to be attached to the bogies. It should be a rather good "puller", though, as it's suitably heavy and designed with actual motive power physics in mind.

Hi C.T. Paul,

I did a review of the Voith 'Maxima' here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/22269-h0-scale-voith-maxima-production-seems-to-have-begun/?p=381870

This pulls pretty well, I had it running on a friends layout with steep grades & curves and it went up a treat (with a decent train in tow!).

I have a couple of Mehano G2000's and they seem to run and pull pretty well too.

I have a Trix G1200 (slightly shorter than the G1700) and that you will not beat for durability, ever! It's detail, performance and weight are just fine too.

If you're looking for modern outline diesels, how about the Roco "Hercules"? I have/had several of these, they're great in all regards and one is just the smoothest performer I've ever had!

Might be sticking my neck out a bit here but I think it would be a pretty safe bet that almost all Continental model diesels will perform and last pretty well - it would be easier to say what doesn't work too well (& I don't know of any really!). I have a dirt cheap Roco "starter" loco - the V160 and that would seem to answer your query quite well too!

Cheers,

John E.

Oops, forgot!

The only Hobbytrade loco I ever owned was a DSB ME and it was a decent runner, pulled well, heavy & well built - perfectly adequate! I can only assume that they will only have gotten better since that model was made.

Cheers again,

John E.

PS Can you tell? I like locos! (too much!!!).

Archived