Small Drivers

dogioio

I have built a Worsley etch of a BR 02  Scale size wheels are 6.0mm dia The smallest from society shop is 7.0mm Has anybody any idea of a supply for correct size.Quite new to 2mm have downsized from 5inch gauge.hense a whole new experience.

Roger

• RMweb Premium

I have built a Worsley etch of a BR 02  Scale size wheels are 6.0mm dia The smallest from society shop is 7.0mm Has anybody any idea of a supply for correct size.Quite new to 2mm have downsized from 5inch gauge.hense a whole new experience.

Roger

According to all the prototype references that I have the Class 02 had 3' 6" wheels so 7mm wheels would be quite correct. In other contexts I would agree that a 6mm would be quite useful.

Roger

You could use a 6mm bogie wheel and get your own cranks etched. I am doing this with an 04 I am building - I have some old bogie wheels which will serve as the etch for the 04 cranks/wheels totally covers the wheel front, so it's easier to use a bogie wheel instead of the drivers.

You would have to be very careful to get the throw accurate and consistent across the wheels.

Or speak to Damien at 2mm Locomotives who might be able to do you a wheel with a 3D-printed centre.

Chris

According to all the prototype references that I have the Class 02 had 3' 6" wheels so 7mm wheels would be quite correct. In other contexts I would agree that a 6mm would be quite useful.

Hi David  Many thanks  you are correct should of checked my info  I will order tomorrow..  Sunny ATHERTON!!!!! No such luck here in Rammy

Regards Roger

Mine has 7mm wheels, its unpainted photo is on Worsley's site.  7mm works well in this loco, looks right and is right according to the drawings!

Also, throw away the Worsley frames, they're only useful as a drilling guide, being designed around a fold-up for 3mm scale and 12mm gauge.  I built my chassis using PCB onto 6mm brass bar (lots of low down weight!), using essentially the same technique as I used in the DY1 (described on the 2mm website), but with a smaller 8mm diameter motor, and gears only to the rear axle.  The rods on the 02 then carry the drive.  DCC chip sits above the motor inside the bonnet.

- Nigel

Roger,

Julia Adams (aka 'Missy' here) has produced some 3d printed wheel centres which press into 6mm diameter 2mm Scale Assoc. steel tyres. The're shown in the photos of the Peckett on her blog here on RMweb.

I have just designed and had etched a set of frames for the 02. They're waiting to be assembled at the moment, but are intended to use the 2mm chassis assembly jig and PCB spacers. When I've got a bit further with the test build I'll try and post some photos. I've already built a body from the Worsley Works etch - it features somewhere in my blog on here if you're interested.

Andy

Roger,

Julia Adams (aka 'Missy' here) has produced some 3d printed wheel centres which press into 6mm diameter 2mm Scale Assoc. steel tyres. The're shown in the photos of the Peckett on her blog here on RMweb.

I have just designed and had etched a set of frames for the 02. They're waiting to be assembled at the moment, but are intended to use the 2mm chassis assembly jig and PCB spacers. When I've got a bit further with the test build I'll try and post some photos. I've already built a body from the Worsley Works etch - it features somewhere in my blog on here if you're interested.

Andy

Hi Andy  Many thanks for your reply  I will check your blog  Have ordered material etc and will post results  Regards Roger

Mine has 7mm wheels, its unpainted photo is on Worsley's site.  7mm works well in this loco, looks right and is right according to the drawings!

Also, throw away the Worsley frames, they're only useful as a drilling guide, being designed around a fold-up for 3mm scale and 12mm gauge.  I built my chassis using PCB onto 6mm brass bar (lots of low down weight!), using essentially the same technique as I used in the DY1 (described on the 2mm website), but with a smaller 8mm diameter motor, and gears only to the rear axle.  The rods on the 02 then carry the drive.  DCC chip sits above the motor inside the bonnet.

- Nigel

Thanks Nigel Your work as well as others have been a great inspiration I have been involved in N gauge for a couple of years but 2mmFS is certainly the way for me Regards Roger

Archived