Setting up a new Club

Edge

Okay, so this is probably a really dumb idea; but I have somehow maanged to place myself in a living location that is absolutely nowhere near any model railway club.

This is a problem, as the scale of my ambitions and my available space (actually, my only limiting factor at the mo) are clashing rather.

So, I have started to consider seeting a club of my own up. I know there is a fair level of interest in such an idea in the local area, but that is as far as this goes.

Could those on here who have been involved in the setting up/administration of clubs let me know any pitfalls that may arise? I'm having a lot of trouble trying to find suitable accomodation for said club, so any ideas in that regard would be most welcome.

Thanks everyone,

Edge

Birmingham Model Railway Club s.gif icon_web.gif s.gificon_email.gif   Contact Details: Club Chairman,  Paul Boot,  West Midlands icon_tel.gif 0121 608 5564 or 07954 390144 Meeting Venue: Cadbury Drive (r/o Swimming Pool),  Off Farnborough Road, Castle ValeBirmingham Meeting Day: Tuesday    Meeting Times: 7.00pm The club meets every Tuesday evening from 7.00pm at the new club premises behind the swimming pool, cadbury drive, castle vale in north birmingham, where a warm welcome is extended to all. Layouts comprise of 7mm fs o gauge layout, 2x large 4mm layouts & Small 2mm layout. Members of the club also hold membership of the gauge o guild, hmmrs etc. To access security gates - call 07791 124972 from mobile on clubnights. Message facility available at other times.

Details last updated 5th January 2011

Just a short bike ride from you.

• RMweb Premium

I guess Sutton Coldfield is too far as well then ? Doesn't look like UKModelShops shows anything else in your area

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/county/clubs/West%20Midlands

Ask around at local schools, churches, pubs etc to see if anyone has a suitable room to rent.

You will need to get your information into all the magazines as well as all the web sites - don't just rely on RMweb as many modellers aren't on here - for example at Mickleover we have 70 members yet I'm only aware of 10/15 on here - many of the others are pensioners who don't have a computer but they buy Railway Modeller every month!

Have a chat with Tony Bound at Magnet Insurance about his scheme as once you find premises you'll need insurance

http://www.modelrailwayinsurance.co.uk/

When you are established then join the Chiltern Association as you will find that your insurance discount covers the annual subscription!

http://www.cmra.org.uk/

Good Luck

Mike

Slightly " off topic " -- Water Orton is a great location for a days " spotting " from the line side - however  Nework Rail or whoever is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the main station building  really should take a look at the state of the building - it is little more than a ' pigeon roost "

I think you need to slightly change your approach - rather than thinking "I want to set up a club of my own" you should start off from the perspective of "We want to set up a club of our own" - getting people involved will reduce the workload you have (and that means more modelling time, and less 'blame' for you!).

I would start off by trying to arrange meetings with those that have expressed an interest - to begin with a quiet corner of a pub (coffee shop / wine bar / local burger joint) is a good place - after all, you will have lots to discuss before you start doing anything.  That should give you the nucleus of a committee, and with more people involved, finding space to build layouts should be easier - and you have a membership ready to start paying towards the rent rather than having to shoulder that burden yourself.

• 1 year later...

Archived