Hornby 0-6-0 Chassis

CullingworthGNR

Hello all,

I've been having some problems with the standard 0-6-0 Jinty / J83 / Thomas chassis. I've now had two versions of the same thing that suffer the same problem - running fairly quietly and smoothly at slow speeds, but getting really very noisy as soon as the speed is increased. This is particularly noticeable when running forwards (backwards it is less pronouced), with a grinding sound much louder than any other loco.

The chassis seems very sensitive to any movements in the motor / worm interface, having stripped it down and removed the previously problematic brake shoes. Do you have any suggestions at all as to how this could be improved? I have tried a plastic wedge to move the motor up a bit, and this seems to help slightly, suggesting there might be a way of improving this mesh, but I have no solution so far.

I have already considered remotoring with a Bachmann chassis, but would rather keep the same chassis if I can as the model has sentimental value.

Thanks for your time,

Tom

These chassis often seem to lose the meshing and the worm chews up the gear. I expect the noise is the worm coming out of mesh and riding over the top of the gear. You may need to tip the motor forward slightly so it engages ever so slightly more with the gear. This problem also happens very commonly on the B12 locos.

Archived