"0" Duke copper capped chimney

Kev T

I'm building a David Andrews Duke, but the kit has a white metal chimney and safety valves. I can get the safety valve in brass from Warren Shephard, but I can't find a supplier for the chimney. Any ideas?

I've checked the old website for ideas, but I can't turn a new chimney and I don't fancy trying to electroplate white metal unless I have to, so I'm stumped.

cheers

Kev

I'm building a David Andrews Duke, but the kit has a white metal chimney and safety valves. I can get the safety valve in brass from Warren Shephard, but I can't find a supplier for the chimney. Any ideas?

I've checked the old website for ideas, but I can't turn a new chimney and I don't fancy trying to electroplate white metal unless I have to, so I'm stumped.

cheers

Kev

Springside list a Bulldog Chimney in their 0 gauge range if that helps

Mike

How is the kit anyway? I have been tempted by this especially after seeing the pics on David's catalogue

I might even go the all N/S option at 10% premium.

There were two reasons for me buying this kit, one was that I like the loco and wanted to build one, the other was David Andrews reputation. I've almost finished the kit and have test run it and I'm pleased overall with the result, however I can't recommend this kit for anyone who hasn't got a decent amount of experience.

Main problem is the instructions assume too much for a beginner and the diagrams are ambiguous on a few items. A good set of photos is essential, forming the flare on the tender is a pain and the way the con rods fasten to the driving axles is barely covered in the instructions, I ended up taking advice from club members and getting Derek Mundy bushes.

Having said that I'm now sure the end result will be very good, fit and finish is good and it does run very well. I took David's advice and fitted smaller bogie wheels and the loco easily goes around a 5' radius curve. In hindsight I should have fitted hornblocks to allow removal of the driving wheels and axles, they are all but impossible to remove with a compensated chassis like I've built.

I'd say go for it if you're confident of your abilities, if you've little experience I would be carefull; but having said that I would still buy it over the Martin Finney because of the large cost difference.

I would think carefully about buying one in N/S as the tender flare is difficult enough in brass.

Kev

My last but one kit was a Mega outside framed 328 class Beyer Goods, so a mere tender flare would be child's play compared with some of the atrocities of this kit!

Go for it then, as I said the end result is very good and the price is not too bad.

This is only my second loco kit so I'm still on a steep learning curve.

Springside chimney is unfortunately in whitemetal and no copper cap so I'll contact Scorpio to see if they'll sell me a chimney separately.

Kev

Archived