L&NWR Standard 'Webb' Hut Drawings

rd84

Hi,

Can anyone point me towards drawings of a L&NWR standard Webb Hut please ? - I am after the general use type that had vertical planking - they were of 8ft x 8ft unit construction and could with modification be used for signal boxes, stores, platform waitng rooms etc, etc. They were often joined together to form longer buildings and had different combinations of doors and windows according to what use was required of them.

I've found one drawing in A Pictorial Record of LMS Architecture by V.R. Anderson & G.K. Fox , Oxford Publishing , ISBN 86093 083 1 , which shows the horizontal plank type. Perhaps these were identical except for the planking ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Cheers

Paul

Paul

Richard D Foster`s  book `A Pictorial Record of LNWR Signalling`Oxford Publishing ( ISBN 860931471 ), has the drawing your looking for on page 147. Come to think of it that would make a cracking garden shed, now where are my tools.

Cheers Lochty

Hi Lochty,

Many thanks for that - I've actually got that book but had forgotten about the drawing - I wouldn't have thought to have looked in a signalling book - I associated this type of hut more with railway halt passenger buildings and store rooms than signal boxes. But of course their use as signal boxes seems to have been quite widespread on branch lines.

Cheers

Paul

Archived