Blog- coachmann's carriage Blog - Bachmann Thompson B1 up to scratch...

RSS Fetcher

The prototype of my model passing Diggle Junction on a York-Blackpool excursion circa 1959. Gresley, BR Mk.I and Thompson stock. Photo : Jim Davenport, courtesy Brian Green.

blogentry-6680-12621748756633.jpg

When it was the Bachmann B1 4-6-0's turn for a makeover, I was surprised at the amount of rivet and other detail on both body and chassis. It is well worth the effort, and being an old-fashioned model, it has the return cranks in the correct position ahead of the driving wheel boss!

The bogie was unscrewed and the side frames filed to accept scale size wheels. Markits 3' 3" wheels were then fitted, but as normal axles are of a smaller diameter than Bachmann's, the plastic keeper plates were held against the axles while the soldering iron softened them so they would stay in the new position. The plate across the front of the bogie was represented with a piece of Plastikard.

blogentry-6680-12621750639028.jpgblogentry-6680-12621750934122.jpg

A Jackson screw coupling was fitted on the loco. In retrospect the loco would have benefited from smaller handrail knobs but they're not too bad.

I added BR grey, cream & red lining to the tender valance which Bachmann omitted, and then brought the whole of the loco and tender lining up to Hornby standard by adding the fine cream line inside the grey.

blogentry-6680-12621751076109.jpg

The engine was then renumbered 61229. Front cylinder covers etc were painted Phoenix track rust, and then streaks of rust mixed with black were put on the smokebox and around the sandbox fillers. White steaks were brushed down from the dome cover.

blogentry-6680-12621753339651.jpgblogentry-6680-12621753476396.jpgblogentry-6680-12621753658395.jpg

All wheels were lightly sprayed with a dilute mixture of dark grey, as was the whole of the top of the boiler and cab roof. A dilute rust mixture was sprayed onto the loco and tender frames. Spraying wheels...... Chassis was removed first then the silver tyre sides were hand painted with Humbrol satin black. When dry, the weathering grey was sprayed on half the wheels, then I turned the worm by hand and sprayed the remainder of each wheel. The grey is very diluted and I build it up in 'layers' as required.

blogentry-6680-12621755871162.jpg

A Stones generator was fitted beside of smokeboxlater, which I think is a Dave Alexander casting. For those who want to go to more detail, I believe Dave Bradwell produces an etched chassis for the B1. This kit also contains a replacement cast brass chimney, dome and 2 different types of smokebox door one with wide hinges and the other with narrow hinges, these parts are available separately should you not wish to build the chassis.

This model still retains the Bachmann split chassis so I wonder how long it will be before this company revamps this loco with a DCC-fitted chassis? It is definitely one of Bachmann better locos and I think its safe to say most ER modellers would be perfectly happy with a new chassis and handrails.

The end.

View the full article

Archived