Golden Arrow Blue Grey Livery

c2c

Just recently I came across a Lima N Gauge Blue & Grey Golden Arrow Pullman coach, can anyone tell me of what era they are from and what loco's would have pulled them?

Obvously I have done some research but nothing really is comming up when I search the webb.

The 'Golden Arrow' as  a service ended in 1972, latterly the 'Pullman' section was First Class only, the second class carriages being Mk 1s. IFAIR, the Pullmans used were all in Pullman Brown/Cream, but they may have received the same 'facelift' that the 'Brighton Belle' got in 1969 and the vehicles used repainted into the pseudo-Pullman Blue/Grey livery.

EDIT: Yes they did get repainted:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/5622144902/in/set-72157603648772112

In any case, from 1961 the 'Arrow' was electric-hauled using Class 71 Electric locos. Classes 33 and 73 may have substituted in case of failure, whatever was available to get to the train moving again as the train was a time-sensitive one. I recall seeing a picture in a book that showed a failed 'Arrow' being assisted to the next station by a following 12CBC (Cep/Bep/Cep) formation.

Thanks for the reply Talisman, I guessed that might have been the case of repainted coaches, but didn't know about the 1st class thingy though. Quite an intresting subject Pullman livery.

Thanks again

DaveH

Once I have cleared through my ongoing projects I would like to have a go at building a class 71 in a Golden Arrow livery. BH enterprises sell an etched kit for about £7.95.

There are very few photos showing the 'reversed' livery, although I have found a couple in my reference books. Quite frankly, I think it looked hideous ... apparently BR bigwigs also came to that conclusion so after the first few repaints, all subsequent ones were in standard blue and grey but with additional white lining, rather like the Brighton Belle blue/grey livery.

It was possible for a short time to see the 'Arrer with Pullmans in umber/cream, grey/blue (reversed) and blue/grey all in one train. Then there were the mark 1 coaches in green and/or blue/grey, with BGs in maroon and/or blue/grey.

Interesting times! :)

Yes thats right SRman... I googled loads of pages and found it very hard to come up with anything concerning this reversed livery, but although I tend to agree with you that it was a hideous colour scheme,  it still has a place in history of the southern railway network and why I want to add it to my collection.

Perhaps BR at the time where either having a problem with paint suppliers :scratchhead: or the man that made the decisions was colour blind! :)

Archived