Hendford Halt, Yeovil

Matt Roe

Yeovil lost a perfectly good claim, to have the heart of a city,last week with the permanent closure of Hendford Halt. Now that will change my retail therapy.

PB

Maybe this answers the question about Hendford Halt. It's a shame, I always enjoyed meeting Peter at the Hornby Trade Previews each January. he was a gentleman in every respect. I assume he has decided to retire or the lease is expiring or some such reason, it comes to us all eventually and very few people will want to buy an existing business these days as it's normally cheaper to start afresh.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

There's a statement on Buffers Model Railways website saying they bought all the stock from Hendford and wish Peter a happy retirement which would seem to answer any questions...

Buffers Model Railways

Peter (Farr) did not enlarge on his personal reasons for sudden and early retirement, but his local customers and friends have surmised the big "C". A mail order company in Liverpool have given me exemplary service, but the personal touch is sorely missed. The HH premises may well be available for purchase; there is a willing customer base. Who will wish to open a new venture?

PB

So very sorry to hear about Hendford Halt,having been a customer of Pete for many years.Every loco that he sold had been test run by Pete before sale- now that is what I call service! I do hope and pray that the suggestion regarding his health is 100% wrong.

I've spent many an hour (and pound) in there over the years, and too wish to add to the chorus for Pete all the best in his retirement.

I was in Buffers just after Christmas when they were starting to look through the boxes of stuff from Hendford Halt, and apparently there were a number of mystery items they'd uncovered so who knows what was tucked away in the back rooms!

So very sorry to hear about Hendford Halt,having been a customer of Pete for many years.Every loco that he sold had been test run by Pete before sale- now that is what I call service! I do hope and pray that the suggestion regarding his health is 100% wrong.

My understanding is that it was nothing to do with his health - more to do with, how can I put it delicately "an affair of the heart" which has led him to move to South Wales to be with the lady concerned! And at his age too! This info comes from several members of my model railway club who knew Peter well.

During the latter half of 1999 and early 2000, my wife and I rented a cottage in the Blackmore Vale and Hendford Halt was the closest shop. I always received great service and the Bachmann pannier I purchaesd there is still in dsily use. Peter also used to have a great line of resin-cast stone walls, much longer than the recent Skaledale offerings, I wish I had bought more at the time. Thanks Peter and good luck for the future.

Now that the easiest/quickest model railway shop, to get to, has bit the dust, it just leaves me with Salisbury Model Centre (recently changed hands) or 'dodgy' in Bournemouth, with all the inherant problems - no it just means more trade for Hattons. And to think from here to Hendford via Piddlehinton, and Cerne Abbas has to be one of the most scenic local car journeys, ah well such is life.

Agreed Paul, may I add "Buffers" of Colton Cross near Axminster.At least they are trying very hard to give a good service,sorry to say,unlike the aforesaid Bournemouth institution."Dodgy" I think is entirely charitable.Salisbury Model Centre is OK for RTR but if you want anything everso slightly off the "box shifter" track,forget it.P'raps I've just been unlucky.Tim.

Always regarded Buffers as a little out of the way, and would have to justify that little bit further journey, but I could always do a slight detour when we visit our favourite fish 'n' chip shop in Seatonsmile.gif . But I must admit I've spoken to the guy who runs their trade stands at a few local shows, and been impressed with his 'nouse', I would have presumed he's the 'boss'.

• 7 months later...

Archived