Black 5 44932 in green

Metr0Land

• RMweb Gold

Back in the early 1980's 44932 was painted green for a while.  Can anyone say when please?  Am having trouble finding the dates in the interweb.  Plenty of references to her but nothing that pins down the dates.

• RMweb Premium

I saw 44932 around 1978/9 at Carnforth, it was lined green then IIRC. Not proper Brunswick green, but a lighter, brighter shade closer to SR coaching stock.

From memory, Carnforth (Steamtown) was set up straight after the 1968 end of steam. They painted a few locos in odd colours at the time. I was on holiday in Blackpool and visited the site, taking the following colour slide. On the PC it is undated; I have 4 or 5 different slides around which I can look ou to find the date they were processed, even if I didn't record the date. Leave it with me.

post-2049-0-00183300-1358454257_thumb.jpg

Stewart

Was this perhaps a recreation of one of the experimental liveries given to some Black 5's just after Nationalisation? ISTR from a book on BR liveries (Brian Haresnape?) that a line-up was formed at Marylebone. There was an LMS 4-6-0 (can't remember if it was a Jubilee or a Black 5) in LNER Apple Green.

Ed

From memory, Carnforth (Steamtown) was set up straight after the 1968 end of steam. They painted a few locos in odd colours at the time. I was on holiday in Blackpool and visited the site, taking the following colour slide. On the PC it is undated; I have 4 or 5 different slides around which I can look ou to find the date they were processed, even if I didn't record the date. Leave it with me.

attachicon.gif03_002_0018_44932 Carnforth small.jpg

Stewart

'look, it's Henry!'

On a serious note, this actually doesn't sit too badly on 44932, despite not being 'authentic' for the locomotive. Might we ask Mr Riley to have a crack at this on one of his lot?

I found the original slide this morning. Sadly undated, but by deduction of it and others on the film, wife and I reckon prob 1980 or slightly later. I have a few more clues though if I can find info on other subjects on the same film.

4472 and Gresley were at Carnforth, along with French & German locos, and an industrial in bright purple.

1st Blackpool balloon tram in advert livery

Don't know if that helps at all.

Stewart

From memory, Carnforth (Steamtown) was set up straight after the 1968 end of steam. They painted a few locos in odd colours at the time. I was on holiday in Blackpool and visited the site, taking the following colour slide. On the PC it is undated; I have 4 or 5 different slides around which I can look out to find the date they were processed, even if I didn't record the date. Leave it with me.

attachicon.gif03_002_0018_44932 Carnforth small.jpg

Stewart

By a devious means, I can confirm the date of this picture as 1983. (Another of the slides on the film, taken whilst on holiday, was posted by me on a now defunct website. A Google foumd the same image with my dated caption on another website).

Stewart

Didn't some of the S&D 5's carry BR green? I guess an apple green one would look odd, like the castle (king?) did.

Some BR Standard 5MTs did; LMS Class 5s 'Black Fives' never carried anything but black in service...

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure I saw her green in 75, IIRC.  The Ivatt 2 was maroon, and I certainly recall the purple Barclay!  I have photos of the German and French pacifics in steam on what I think was the same day, and the German class 80 even, but not one of the green 5......sigh.

One Black 5 at Carnforth was also painted in Furness red, but I think that was earlier.  Never mind the caley blue fairburn tank!

Archived